Green Atlas Cedar

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Progression of a multi-trunked green atlas cedar. Originally this tree was grown by Seiji Shiba, a Northern California hobbyist. I acquired the tree in 2020 from Peter Tea who had been nursing the tree back to health. The back trunk at one point almost died and several sub apices look to have died off many years ago. I repotted in Spring of 2021 and worked the roots fairly hard. The tree was in oversize pot and was actually overpotted (I found drain mesh in the middle of the root ball). It grew quite well and I was able to fully wire out the tree in September of 2021.

Here is the tree after some initial cut backs at acquisition, sorry no original before.
DSC00535.JPG

First Styling after growing well for 1 season:

20210926_191016.jpg

244770638_10218794293920523_1659644227925363959_n.jpg

If you notice in the above picture there is quite a bit of swell in the root ball. As I found out, when healthy, atlas cedars are prolific root growers and fill the pot extremely fast. The same year I found a nice peach colored Maruhei pot and decided to repot the tree again Spring of 2022. The container was smaller--I only removed just enough roots to accomodate the new pot since I had already done major root work in 2021.

Spring 2022:
DSC01868.JPG

I let the tree grow freely all year and recently completed all the fall cut back and thinning about 1 month ago. At this stage (even for a seemingly refined tree) I am focused on branch building. I not only want a full sihloutte, but the ramification and structure to back it up. When a tree is weaker, especially many coniferous species, you cannot necessarily cut back as deep as you want. As this tree has gained strength, I've been able to force the start of bifurcations deeper in the tree as opposed to a long primary line with foliage on it. It is a slow process, but surely the tree is getting better.

Fall 2022, before scissor work, very dense and bushy:

305157488_10220129775426726_4486785982353010818_n.jpg

After cut backs and thinning. Back trunk is now strong after 2 years and regaining density. The sub-apexes in the mid back section were all former lateral branches raffia'ed and wired up in 2020. They have since grown thicker and are more ramified.
20220903_235449.jpg

20220903_235506.jpg

The tree needs to have a regular repotting this season (last season was light root work) and I will correct the angle slightly. I will work on building branch structure for one more season before I give the tree a secondary wiring. Again, trees are not just silhouette. Building branches lend to a better quality and more sustainable bonsai.

Spring 2023
- repot (possibly bigger container to encourage more growth)
Fall 2023
- Cut back and full refinement wiring (all heavy branches already set, just secondary and tertiary outwards)
Spring 2024
- Slip back in show pot if submitting that year
Late Summer 2024
- Scissor refinement
Fall 2024
- First exhibit consideration

If all goes well, by 2024 I will submit this for consideration for the next Pacific Bonsai Expo. I think the tree still needs more time in terms of building branches, but should still look fairly presentable in 2 years.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMO tree looked best Spring 22. More open, natural, defined/not a bush☺️. Good tree.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
IMO tree looked best Spring 22. More open, natural, defined/not a bush☺️. Good tree.
Yep, that was after my initial full wiring to set the pad structure and shape. But right now several areas need to grow out before I follow up with a second refinement wiring. Giving the tree a finished look right now will be purely superficial, just to make it look nice.

Top Bottom