Green Island Ficus pot and stand help

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think I'm losing the back branch. Also I'm going to tilt the tree a bit more to the left at repot. Thoughts?

image.jpg

Reaction score
I think I'm losing the back branch. Also I'm going to tilt the tree a bit more to the left at repot. Thoughts?

View attachment 32553
Losing the back branch how ???
It is dying ??? Or you are thinking about removing ???

IF you are thinking about removing, I would recomend
you don't for two reasons, If you take the branch that
left on you image and wire it towards the front, the
branch you are thinking about removing would be
fine... Second, the branch can always be removed at a
future time, the more you can leave on the tree the
healthier it will be...
:)

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well today I got around to doing some repotting at my kaikou class, and this was one of the victims. It's back used pretty well and looking pretty good. I did some light trimming and wiring, as well as use the dremel on a chop in the back. Then of course, I got around to repotting the tree. I think it's on it's way now and I think it should look ok this fall. Hope to defoliate and wore again in July or so, it will just grow until then. Let me know what you think.

image.jpg

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks guys, I like the way it turned out. I really think that taking the kaikou school with john has really improved my skills in a fairly short amount of time. I hope once it starts to fill out it will look pretty good. Far from perfect or finished, but I think it will look ok for this fall.

Rob, do you plan on displaying anything this fall?

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I like the way it turned out. I really think that taking the kaikou school with john has really improved my skills in a fairly short amount of time. I hope once it starts to fill out it will look pretty good. Far from perfect or finished, but I think it will look ok for this fall.

Rob, do you plan on displaying anything this fall?

Hi Tom.. It definitely shows that you have been working with John over the past year. This ficus is very nice.

As far as displaying something this Fall, that will be up to the trees..lol..Seems like there is always something.. Either the trees are not ready to be repotted this year, they need to be rewired, or they are still developing or I decide to restyle some trees and it sets me back a couple/few years. Doing bonsai properly and at the appropriate time can be an extremely slow process. There is an old procumbens bunjin/slant I am going to rework this season. We will see.

I'll be up at the nursery next Saturday to teach the bonsai basics class.

p.s. Some of those new azaleas at the nursery are pretty nice. I really like one in particular. However, I do not like the price..lol..;)

Rob

Reaction score
Well today I got around to doing some repotting at my kaikou class, and this was one of the victims. It's back used pretty well and looking pretty good. I did some light trimming and wiring, as well as use the dremel on a chop in the back. Then of course, I got around to repotting the tree. I think it's on it's way now and I think it should look ok this fall. Hope to defoliate and wore again in July or so, it will just grow until then. Let me know what you think.

View attachment 32960

Looks good !!!
Do you have any pics of the other sides ???

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi Tom.. It definitely shows that you have been working with John over the past year. This ficus is very nice.

As far as displaying something this Fall, that will be up to the trees..lol..Seems like there is always something.. Either the trees are not ready to be repotted this year, they need to be rewired, or they are still developing or I decide to restyle some trees and it sets me back a couple/few years. Doing bonsai properly and at the appropriate time can be an extremely slow process. There is an old procumbens bunjin/slant I am going to rework this season. We will see.

I'll be up at the nursery next Saturday to teach the bonsai basics class.

p.s. Some of those new azaleas at the nursery are pretty nice. I really like one in particular. However, I do not like the price..lol..;)

Rob

I did see those azaleas, it looks like we have a good selection. Understood about the trees telling you I they are ready to show. I hope that one does work out for you this year. And I hope that whatever mysterious fungus stays away this year.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks good !!!
Do you have any pics of the other sides ???

I do not at the moment, I will try and post a few when I get a little time. Thanks for your comment, as you can see I did not eliminate the back branch on the right of the photo. With a trim, new potting angle, and some wire I think it will work out ok for now.

Reaction score
I do not at the moment, I will try and post a few when I get a little time. Thanks for your comment, as you can see I did not eliminate the back branch on the right of the photo. With a trim, new potting angle, and some wire I think it will work out ok for now.
This is the reason why I asked if you had any pics
from other sides, mainly to see where the branches
are going...
:)

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It looks like the repot has helped the tree gain some vigor. Not bad results for indoor growing.

image.jpg

xray360

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
The tree is amazing. The pot choice is nice but since it's such a rugged tree I think a square or rectangle pot would be better choice when the time comes again to repot it or do a soil change.

Similar tree style to show how the hard angles of the pot emphasize the strong features of the tree.

defoliating-bonsai-tree-05.jpg

Overall I think it's great!!! Like to see future pics.

Last edited:

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So the tree is doing well, and I've got tentative plans for the table. I now am in the process of thinking of what to display with the tree as an accent/companion. I don't have another shohin to counterbalance, so I'm thinking a succulent kusamono of some sort. Any one have suggestions? Advice on where to buy accents or succulents? Other ideas?

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A few weeks after its second defoliation of the year, as well as being full wired.

image.jpg

xray360

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
Looks a little more mature now. Nice job.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I know, another update, boring! In case anyone is wondering the growth coming out of the lower parts and under the roots will be cut for cuttings before shown. The trunk is being partially interrupted at the moment.

image.jpg

Top Bottom