It's all about refinement now...

You need to pinch those new buds to
help promote back budding. Work to establish
as many new finer branches as possible, and
just work on filling it in...

The leaves will reduce further the more leaves
that you have.
:)

I agree with you on all that, I should probably pinch it back like you said while its growing so well in this heat. Should I just cut back to a pair of leaves? I assume cutting the terminal buds will stimulate the new buds opening?

Reaction score
I agree with you on all that, I should probably pinch it back like you said while its growing so well in this heat. Should I just cut back to a pair of leaves? I assume cutting the terminal buds will stimulate the new buds opening?

Definitely remove the terminal buds.
They will grow back... so be prepared for a never ending job.
But, this is what taking it to the next level is all about. Also,
the difference between good Bonsai.
:cool:

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Definitely remove the terminal buds.
They will grow back... so be prepared for a never ending job.
But, this is what taking it to the next level is all about. Also,
the difference between good Bonsai.
:cool:
Thanks for your help, good bonsai is definitely worth the extra effort. Hopefully I can get some twigs before fall.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looking better and better. I can't wait to see even more progress as it backbuds more and the leaves get reduced.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looking better and better. I can't wait to see even more progress as it backbuds more and the leaves get reduced.

Thanks I appreciate it. I did just to and cut back to a pair of leaves this morning in hopes of building a few more twigs. I'll snap a picture when I get to it.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Cut everything back to two leaves. I just realized that I only have a month and a half before the show. I'm running out of time to make the rest of the display...

Tough to make time with a six month old, but I'm not complaining.

image.jpg

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just went to NE Bonsais website, there will be no fall show this year! Go figure, I've only been planning for it this whole year. Guess it gives me more time to refine for next year.

Last edited:

AlBooBoo

Mame
Reaction score
Thats a really nice plant you have there :D

How old is it ?

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thats a really nice plant you have there :D

How old is it ?

Good question, I have no idea. I have had it for almost a year but I would guess it was grown in Florida for 3-5years or so. That is a complete guess but likely

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I just got my first jiita, also from Paul at Bellota pots. I've also had thoughts of making this an informal upright. What are your thoughts?

image.jpg

image.jpg

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I just got my first jiita, also from Paul at Bellota pots. I've also had thoughts of making this an informal upright. What are your thoughts?

View attachment 41496

View attachment 41497

I think it's great the way it is. It would be a shame to lose that great strong rootage on the right side by slanting it upright. It'll be a killer tree once those roots thicken and the branches twig up.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks guys, just thought I'd throw that out there. It does need to twig up hopefully it will look good in a couple more years.

Dorothy, what are your thoughts on the next steps for this tree. You're a ficus master.

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

Dorothy, what are your thoughts on the next steps for this tree. You're a ficus master.

You are very kind, Tom, but I am by no means a ficus master. I just take care of my trees.
If this was my tree and it was down here in Florida, I'd be at the stage to let the side branches grow out.
I would not let the main branches grow that freely anymore if they all have the desired diameter. Now the sidebranches have to develop, bud back and so forth. Same concept applies tp growing secondary branches. It comes to a time that you eliminate the leader of the main branch and replace with a secondary branch leader. Once the secondary branches appear the same work starts for the tertiary branches. Green island ficus needs to be kept happy at all times or you will experiance dieback. If you can grow one generation of branches per year up in your area, that's great!

The smaller the tree the more you may have to compromise. Meaning not weakening the branch by constant pinching for example. Pinching to me - on any tree, not just ficus- is only applied to arrange the profile for exhibiting the finished tree or any other aesthetic reasons like taking a photograph. Some folks are successful in removing the largest leafs on Green island ficus while going, especially when it is a smaller specimen. It is a real challenge to grow small ficus, keep them small and happy.

Best,
Dorothy

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You are very kind, Tom, but I am by no means a ficus master. I just take care of my trees.
If this was my tree and it was down here in Florida, I'd be at the stage to let the side branches grow out.
I would not let the main branches grow that freely anymore if they all have the desired diameter. Now the sidebranches have to develop, bud back and so forth. Same concept applies tp growing secondary branches. It comes to a time that you eliminate the leader of the main branch and replace with a secondary branch leader. Once the secondary branches appear the same work starts for the tertiary branches. Green island ficus needs to be kept happy at all times or you will experiance dieback. If you can grow one generation of branches per year up in your area, that's great!

The smaller the tree the more you may have to compromise. Meaning not weakening the branch by constant pinching for example. Pinching to me - on any tree, not just ficus- is only applied to arrange the profile for exhibiting the finished tree or any other aesthetic reasons like taking a photograph. Some folks are successful in removing the largest leafs on Green island ficus while going, especially when it is a smaller specimen. It is a real challenge to grow small ficus, keep them small and happy.

Best,
Dorothy
Thanks Dorothy, makes perfect sense. Appreciate your thoughts I'm sure the tree wishes it was back down in FL too.

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Tom, I am sure the tree is going to be just fine with you.

Best,
Dorothy

Ricochet

Seedling
Reaction score
Nice bonsai. I am planning to repot my Green Island Ficus after the New Year into a shallower but slightly wider grayish brown oval pot.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My trees are doing well inside so far, but I unfortunately lost a branch in the apex on this one. Hopefully it will grow well this winter and take off this spring. I may be making a stand soon so stay tuned.

image.jpg

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like this pot. The roots are really nice too. I'm having trouble on indoor placement for mine. I need some lighting.

Top Bottom