Green Japanese Maple help

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Needs some suggestions from the Nut family. I have some Japanese maples that are in the ground now. They have been growing for about 2 years here. The issue is this area is very dry and has direct sun all day. Last two years the trees have been leaf burned and have not grown great. I am thinking about moving these (4) trees to a new location. I have room for 2 in the shade area maybe 3 if I push them together. My question is can green maples stand up to direct sun if they get enough water? I have some areas in the back that are in direct sun but I can water more and has better soil. Again these are going back in the ground and are not in the pots. So are maples ok for direct sun if watered? Or should I find some more areas of shade for them?

I am also getting a mix bag of 5 maples in april that I need to find spots for and if they can be put in sun it would make it easier. Thanks for your help

Last edited:

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Best would be leave them there and erect a shade cover if can. That's what I would do. Digging them up will set the roots back again.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I try not to do this but the link I will leave is a good read on the subject. Honest though do you know what cultivar they are? Reason I ask is there are some sun tolerant varieties that with a little extra water and good drainage do ok. Anyways this is a decent non bonsai related read concerning that http://www.newgarden.com/notes/2013/4/24/best-japanese-maples-for-sun. If you can ID them fill me in and I am certain we can figure something out.

Grimmy

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
What kind of soil are they planted in, and have you applied mulch to the area around the trunks? How often do you water them? My experience has been that Japanese maples can easily take full sun if the root zone is healthy and kept moist. A bigger issue may be wind...

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The green leaved varieties are more sun tolerant then variegated or colored cultivars...the answer to this is a definite yes, even down here in GA.

That was my point, also I mentioned soil as a large portion of the state has solid clay that most "call" soil. If that is the case and I suspect it is he would be better off planting them in large garden pots and provide decent drainage and water using the same amount of space.

Grimmy

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
All
Thank you for the replies
The ground is clay x rock mix. I live on a side of a mountain. I do not use a shovel but a pick axe.
The type of maple is unknown. I was at a bonsai nursery and ended up talking to another customer one day, 45 minutes later he said come on over to my house and I get you some starter stock for you. He said these were left over root stock from his nursery. He used them to graft better stock to and were left overs. I assume they are plain jane green maples.

i mulched the roots, about 2 inches or so and 2 feet around. the trees are about 34" tall and less than 1" trunks. One is a red leaf that has been so so.

water. I water these in the ground honestly twice a week. I put a 5 gallon bucket next to each tree. Drilled a hole in the side near the bottom and fill the bucket with 3 gallons of water. I know the water gets into the ground and it does not run off.

When the 2 feet of snow leaves sometime this year :rolleyes: I will take some photos. If I move them I know it will set them back. Thats ok with me. I would rather move them then loose them. I can also secure some larger containers or make them if you think thats a better idea. If I go this route what soil? Bonsai or garden soil.
Thanks

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Best would be large pots with composted pine bark mixed with 25% haydite or rock material. I use this on all my maples in large pots. Makes them grow super fast.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Best would be large pots with composted pine bark mixed with 25% haydite or rock material. I use this on all my maples in large pots. Makes them grow super fast.

I use very similar only Pine horse bedding and Dry stall. In large pots I fill the bottom 3rd with stone of any type for weight, cover it with any cheap landscape cloth, and then plant. One a side note I can water a lot so you might want to use more pine to hold more water.

Grimmy

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks all. If I pull them what size pot should I use? I can also make a pine box.

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
3/4" trunk or so. 24 to 34" tall.
One is 1/2" trunk and 8" tall. Figure 8" pot for this one

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes 8" pot should be plety for that size tree. For the bigger one I would use about a 12" diameter shallow training pot :)

remist17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I can make one out of pine or use 15" anderson flat. Do alot of people use pine boxes or plastic pots to grow out trees?

Last edited:
Top Bottom