Green Japanese maple- thoughts?

Jpour6

Seed
Reaction score
Hi all,
I found this green japanese maple for sale and wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were and if it would be a good specimen. Price is $200. I was a little hesitant w the sharp angle of the trunk and proportions but not sure if I'm overthinking it. What do you guys think?

13497F23-F22F-43A5-BF52-BA3AEEAD1898.jpegB57657EF-650A-4B2E-AB9E-AA97EAFF0679.jpeg

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The sharpness should soften over time, but it doesn't seem to have much taper down low. I can't grow maples down here but probably wouldn't plunk down more than $100 on something like that. I will say that the bark looks nice

BitsaBon

Sapling
Reaction score
Looks very overpriced to me. Not a great deal of potential. You would get a lot more value buying multiple younger trees.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The angle doesn't bother me (in fact its the best thing about the tree). I'd be more concerned about the root base. It will need significant work to get rid of or soften all those downward growing surface roots. $200 isn't out of the question for something like this, but there are some flaws to think about and abotu other sources.

Jpour6

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you all for your thoughtful comments, I appreciate it

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would pass on it. It needs a lot of growing to soften those sharp angles and develop a decent nebari.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like it, but not $200 like it. thats a personal choice though

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
$150 is…still bit rich for the material

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think $200 is overprice.
If you have the cash to burn, buy it.

If it was me and my current state.
For $200, i will just save more and buy a better material

or

use $200 to buy seedlings and grew it my self. (create some with washer, or create some like a clump style).

Thanks
Chris

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi all,
I found this green japanese maple for sale and wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were and if it would be a good specimen. Price is $200. I was a little hesitant w the sharp angle of the trunk and proportions but not sure if I'm overthinking it. What do you guys think?

View attachment 469914View attachment 469915
Jumping in on this also. I think the bends are fine, but the fact that there are zero low branches at all is a concern. Nothing even close to bend around for grafting.

Top Bottom