Green Japanese maple

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My newest tree from the Growing Grounds has arrived! The trunk is between 2" to 2.5" thick depending on the angle. The base is around 3". It's 24" tall.

The tree came double boxed with no filler. The pot is tied down to the bottom of the box.

I see 3 possible fronts.

Front #1. This side probably has the best base. I would need to trim the top to the first node and grow a new shoot to the right.

Front #2. On this front, I would cut the funny branch on the right and do a thread graft lower. The top would need to be cut so a new shoot can lead to the left.

Front #3. With this front, I may not need to trim the top at all. However, I would need to tilt to whole tree to the front because it's currently leading to the back a bit at the top. The funny branch in front will need to be cut.

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Looks awesome! Great character, I really like the first pic as the front.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great tree, I hope you post some shots when its all leafed out.

ed

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Boy that was boxed tight. You should feel lucky no branches were broken. That's some good stock though plenty to work with

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Nice maple, really lucky no branches broke. First pic is my pick for the front...
if you don't mined me asking, how was your purchase experience with this seller?

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice maple, really lucky no branches broke. First pic is my pick for the front...
if you don't mined me asking, how was your purchase experience with this seller?

Two tiny twigs did break on the top, but it wasn't at all a major. I take out more than that when I prune a new tree. I also have never received a package from UPS that is damaged. Personally, I would pack with foam walls or something. But this is my 3rd tree from him now and they all came like this with no damage.

As for my experience with the Growing Grounds, you can read my review there. http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthr...the-Growing-Grounds-AVOID&p=182388#post182388 I would buy from him again.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
So there were no peanuts in there or anything? Shocked it arrived in one piece! Nice tree though. :)

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So there were no peanuts in there or anything? Shocked it arrived in one piece! Nice tree though. :)

No peanuts or newspaper or anything.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Does anyone else see a baby throwing up a branch in the 3rd picture of the first post?

Nice looking tree you got there. Though precarious the shipping, unharmed seems the tree.
Lot of wiring indeed. Not sure I recognize the downward sloping branches on a maple. Perhaps if they were more horizontal or slightly tilting upwards it would be more convincing.

Just an opinion; empty as it may be.

Great pick up.

B

Attachments

• babybranch.PNG
    babybranch.PNG
    20.7 KB · Views: 72

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Does anyone else see a baby throwing up a branch in the 3rd picture of the first post?

Nice looking tree you got there. Though precarious the shipping, unharmed seems the tree.
Lot of wiring indeed. Not sure I recognize the downward sloping branches on a maple. Perhaps if they were more horizontal or slightly tilting upwards it would be more convincing.

Great pick up.

B

I see it now thats awesome! :)

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
No peanuts or newspaper or anything.

It's a great tree and i'm happy you got it without damage. But looking at the prices on their site many if not most of the trees are overpriced. Perhaps he gives you a better deal if you ask?

With the prices being 400+to 22,000+ why would you take a risk buying from a person who takes so little care with the shipping? I ask cause you said it's your 3rd tree from them. I myself have not bought anything from them but based on seeing how it's shipped I never would. Be careful, I can't imagine your luck would continue with shipping that poor. Just my 2 cents, one tip or knock from the shipping carrier and there goes half the value of your tree. Again great tree but i'd look for other vendors. Have you looked at Colin Lewis's for sale page they're trees of equal caliber and i've bought from him before he packs like a pro and leaves almost no chance of things being broken. He's updating on a daily basis right now. Here's a few other vendors i've had good exp with.

http://www.colinlewisbonsai.com/sales.html

also check out

http://www.gregorybeachbonsai.com/4.html

and

http://www.bonsaiwest.com/index.php/bonsaiwest/category/15

Last edited:

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure I recognize the downward sloping branches on a maple. Perhaps if they were more horizontal or slightly tilting upwards it would be more convincing.

Just an opinion; empty as it may be. B

I know what you mean. Thank you for your input. This is the first Japanese maple I have ever wired. All the branches are on the top half of the tree so I pulled them down. Then I got carried away. It's a maple from an area with very heavy snow... :rolleyes:

I am planning to let the finer branches grow horizontally and the tips to point up. I have no idea what this tree will look like with leaves. I may end up changing the design.

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That wire will need to be off by June or July or risk permanent damage which corkers don't take we'll. branches will actually die . Great tree

This one is not a corkbark, but I will definitely remove it by June. Thank you.

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
[QUcUCHIN;183307]That wire will need to be off by June or July or risk permanent damage which corkers don't take we'll. branches will actually die . Great tree[/QUOTE]

Not a corker. Japanese green maple.

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

Great pick up.

B

I didn't say anything lol but yeah seen that.

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
[QUcUCHIN;183307]That wire will need to be off by June or July or risk permanent damage which corkers don't take we'll. branches will actually die . Great tree

Not a corker. Japanese green maple.[/QUOTE]

Thanks my mistake still remove wires in timely fashion to avoid damage

aphid

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have adjusted all the branches to make them more horizontal at the bottom and pointing upwards towards the top. Does this look more like a Japanese maple tree now? :eek:

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I'm not the authority by any means but I can't really tell from that angle. The tree is supposed be viewed straight ahead with the trunk roughly at eye level, so try taking a picture that is not from above if you don't mind :)

Top Bottom