green moss growing on my yatsubusa elm

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have some green moss growing up a large portion of the trunk. I have a lot of corky trunk material, so what's the best way to get it off without removing all the cork too in the process? The cork comes off pretty easily, and I'm worried if the moss stays on too long it'll rot the corky bark. I heard that I can use vinegar and brush it on the moss, wait a day, and it should come off easier once it's dead? Any thoughts?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have only ever used vinegar and a soft toothbrush as you stated. There are some quick chemical treatments that I have used on Landscape trees but I would not recommend them.

Grimmy

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Vinegar and time will get rid of it w/o the damage to the bark.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Had it on my seiju. Very corky bark. I just scrubbed it off with a tooth brush. Didn't think of vinegar just went at it. The most came off but the bark stayed. Maybe because it was my wife's fine bristle tooth brush.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vinegar sprayed on the moss and left there then exposed to sun with no scrubbing will kill it to the point that its like a dust that can be easily brushed off. I would put a towel or wash cloth on the soil to keep the vinegar out of the soil.

ed

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Vinegar sprayed on the moss and left there then exposed to sun with no scrubbing will kill it to the point that its like a dust that can be easily brushed off. I would put a towel or wash cloth on the soil to keep the vinegar out of the soil.

ed
I followed your advice with applying vinegar to the moss with a cue tip. It took longer than expected after a single application for the moss to die. Now the moss is clearly dead (it's yellow) and I can rest easy knowing the corky bark is in tact. Thanks for the advice! Thanks a million!

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
photo of before the moss died. took maybe 2 weeks for the yellowing of the moss. I can't wait to air layer off that middle branch :)

Attachments

• spring15.jpg
    spring15.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 50

AutumnWolf13

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Had it on my seiju. Very corky bark. I just scrubbed it off with a tooth brush. Didn't think of vinegar just went at it. The most came off but the bark stayed. Maybe because it was my wife's fine bristle tooth brush.
Ever the gentleman! lol
(Fade to dream sequence) Honey, are you brushing your teeth?...Oh, by the way... (Wife turns around revealing bright green teeth)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ever the gentleman! lol
(Fade to dream sequence) Honey, are you brushing your teeth?...Oh, by the way... (Wife turns around revealing bright green teeth)
I didn't give it back. If I had I wouldn't be responding.
Unless you can talk to dead people.

Top Bottom