Green Mound Juniper Washington State

kaylah123

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi! I just joined this website! I am curious about what kind of winter care or any other special tidbits I need to know about my outdoor Green Mound Juniper! It is my very first bonsai! Right now it is sitting on my balcony and I fear that the winter weather will be too cold. I have heard of a cold frame and I am considering getting one, is there a difference in glass vs other options?

I live in Snohomish County and in November daytime temperatures will generally reach highs of around 10°C that's about 51°F. At night the average minimum temperature drops down to around 5°C, that's 41°F. Throughout the months of December/January, daytime temperatures will generally reach highs of around 8°C which is about 46°F. At night the average minimum temperature drops down to around 3°C, that's 37°F.

Screen Shot 2023-10-17 at 4.22.51 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-10-17 at 4.21.21 PM.png

kodiac

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello good looking tree with some potential. I live in Fargo ND where the winter temps typically hit -25f during winter. I keep my trees in a unheated garage that doesn't go below -10 f and have overwintered Nana's with success. What they don't like is cold wind if you can keep the wind off them you should be fine.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome Aboard Bonsai Nut!

Forest tree! That’s so great. Congrats!

. We put all the junipers on the ground as the frost freeze hits, surrounded with bark on bottom and sides. (More to keep dirt out of the pot drain holes and top)

Our lighter boys tends to be at risk from squirrel and those fancy opossums!

btw: please add your approximate location and USDA Zone by double clicking on your icon and then on account details and scroll to the appropriate areas and enter the data. This will save you time and help us help you.

Cheers
DSD sends

kaylah123

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome Aboard Bonsai Nut!

Forest tree! That’s so great. Congrats!

. We put all the junipers on the ground as the frost freeze hits, surrounded with bark on bottom and sides. (More to keep dirt out of the pot drain holes and top)

Our lighter boys tends to be at risk from squirrel and those fancy opossums!

btw: please add your approximate location and USDA Zone by double clicking on your icon and then on account details and scroll to the appropriate areas and enter the data. This will save you time and help us help you.

Cheers
DSD sends
Updated! thank you for the info!!

SandSquid

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
These dudes are hardy and can handle our Washington winters just fine. Mine do. If you’re worried, though, when you know it’s going to be at or below freezing stick them in an unheated garage or unheated greenhouse. When it warms back up then stick them back outside. But, really, they can handle being outside all year.

lots of potential in that tree of yours! Welcome to the forum.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
On the ground outside out of the wind. Surround pot with mulch of some sort. Itll do fine for the winter. Periodically make sure soil is not dry but not wet. No additional protection mentioned for your described climate. If temps drop below 25F or 20F maybe move it next to the house or in an unheated shed/garage until temps trickle back above freezing. Im 7b and have no issues leaving junipers outside.

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
For my own curiosity I double checked the root kill temperature chart in Bonsai Herasy. It lists 10 °F as the temperature that a Juniper Horizontilas will suffer root death.

It's important to remember that a ceramic pot will get colder than air temperature might be. But again, really hardy.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Lots of qualifiers there… not going to list these.

We just bury all of our non sensitive bonsai (pines, junipers, hemlocks etc in the ground under the large bushes, surrounded by medium bark chips.

Never lost one yet… but those $&@@!! wacky wabbits did taste test a couple. This year a plastic fence will surround the bed.

Sensitive bonsai are all in the cold frame or greenhouse.

Cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom