Green mound juniper

Matt Gleason

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here I'm new to the world of bonsai I created this one last night out of a green mound juniper suggestions are welcome. Also have a question about winter since I am from Wisconsin I know these are fine if they are buried in the ground but being potted in a pot the roots will be exposed to the frost. Any suggestions
IMG_1856.JPG

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome to the forum!

You also have before pictures? I think it's pretty good if this is your first try, still enough green on it and it's outside (most new guys try to keep juniper inside). You could update ur profile *(location) so the experts can check ur climate zone and give better advice.

Matt Gleason

Seedling
Reaction score
Here is the befor picture. And yes my very first try. Watched a few youtube videos and studied a few pictures befor attempting anything
IMG_1867.PNG

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey guys, first post here I'm new to the world of bonsai I created this one last night out of a green mound juniper suggestions are welcome. Also have a question about winter since I am from Wisconsin I know these are fine if they are buried in the ground but being potted in a pot the roots will be exposed to the frost. Any suggestions

First off, being repotted and extensively trimmed in one shot you should not do anymore to it for another year. Concentrate on keeping it alive and growing again. That Juniper should do ok for you outside in full sun but never allow it to dry out completely during any season.
It should also handle Winter outdoors as well. Easiest way would be to put it along side a North facing wall on the ground. Some would first Winter mulch that whole pot into a larger Nursery container but I simply don't bother. The only Junipers I ever lost due to Winter were do to lack of attention on my part. I left them on an open shelf and the wind slowly uprooted them quite a bit.

Welcome to Nuts!

Grimmy

Matt Gleason

Seedling
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info! So is there a special procediure to take when doing this as to not trim and repot at the same time I'm assuming now that you want to prun then repot at a later time

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does that pot you put it in have adequate drainage?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks more like procumbens than green mound.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Same thing. 2 names.

Not this again!

Last time you told me my green mound...
"As it says in the label" is a green mound...

Like @jcrossett New cascade....that is a green mound...

It can't be the same....cuz my green mound is still alive!

Sorce

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Nice job! I found junipers hard to keep alive, hopefully you have much better luck. The styling I think looks great!

Top Bottom