Derek Beaumont

Seedling
Reaction score
I received my first bonsai as a present. I believe is is actually in decent shape and not what I think is referred to as a mallsai from what I've seen. I am from South Dakota and trying to find a place to keep it for the winter as it is frequently below zero outside which I've read is too cold. My garage is heated at 70 but I have a storage/cellar room that stays between 30 and 50 degrees but there is no natural light? Is this okay? I could also keep it in the guest room which I keep the door closed to which stays around 50-60 degrees and would get some light through the window. What kind of light does it need when it is dormant? I've got some great places once spring comes around but not sure on what this dormancy phase needs. Also, I received it after being inside a home so if I move it into a colder condition so I need to do it slowly to let it adjust? Thanks for the help!

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
You might need the following.

1 can of spray glue
1oz green paint
1 paint brush

Spray the entire tree with the glue so the leaves stay attached to the tree.

Once dried, paint the leaves with green paint

Place tree on top of your TV and enjoy! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, how long have the tree been indoors? They will die inside. Post a pic or two if you can so the experts here can see the state it's in.

Derek Beaumont

Seedling
Reaction score
Bought from a nursery a couple weeks ago and been inside my sisters 65 degree basement since. From what I've read these trees are fairly hardy? Is that not true? They said the person they bought it from said that would be fine until Christmas but possibly just trying to sell but coming from a nursery that's been around longer than I've been alive you'd think they are fairly reasonable. I'm away right now but will be home late tonight when I could upload photos.

Derek Beaumont

Seedling
Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg
This is how it came. Any chance it'll live? What do I do to give it its best chance?

Derek Beaumont

Seedling
Reaction score
image.jpg
There are ends and parts that are a lighter green (think that is new growth) and the rest is that dark green but almost appears to have a gray layer on it. Very little brown with the exception of the main stems which from what I've seen is normal.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
live? What do I do to give it its best chance?

Spray the entire tree with the glue so the leaves stay attached to the tree.

Once dried, paint the leaves with green paint

:p

Welcome to Crazy!

Put SD in your profile!

The Grey could be the beginning of dormancy which could be good.

How cold is it there now?

We've been above freezing and will be for a while.
If you have a week of above freezing, put it outside, it should figure it Out by the time it gets really cold again.

If not....

That Cellar would be number 2.
Which may prove to be a REAL #2!

Sorce

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hey! Nice tree! But crappy photos! :p

Looks to be in good shape at the momment. People say bringing conifers in for a couple days is okay, mostly for when guests are over, but not the entire winter.

Scratch that. Once the tree goes dormant, NEVER bring it inside into the warmth. Never... Only safe to shuffle around during growing season.

From what I've read, some people mulch over the pot while others just leave it out in the open. But placed against a wall.

Also try to find a shaded place such as next to a North facing wall.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Beautiful Procumbins-Green Mountain Juniper, do some pruning to expose some trunk and branching then decide on a style...I think it could be a dynamic Semi Cascading Juniper ...with some serious wiring...
Keep us updated, OK...

Derek Beaumont

Seedling
Reaction score
Put it outside, sooner the better!

Grimmy

I believe it has been indoors for quite some time, and even purchased from a semi indoor place. We are currently in a blizzard with snow and wind and temp between 10 and 20. Is it still fine outside? Would it be better to move it to the cellar that is about 40 degrees so the transition from warmth inside to cold outside isn't so dramatic?

Derek Beaumont

Seedling
Reaction score
Beautiful Procumbins-Green Mountain Juniper, do some pruning to expose some trunk and branching then decide on a style...I think it could be a dynamic Semi Cascading Juniper ...with some serious wiring...
Keep us updated, OK...

Is it fine to do the pruning and what not now, or will that just stress it more as I decide where I'm going to move it into the cold for its dormancy? I'd like to give it a try but don't want to hurt it, is it better to wait until spring?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Would it be better to move it to the cellar that is about 40 degrees so the transition from warmth inside to cold outside isn't so dramatic?

Move it there for a few days and then straight outside when back to 30 or so - the plant should star to go dormant at 40. Keep it dark, water far less but never dry. Once there are a few days in a row forecast at 30 outside it goes outside. It will discolor but not brown out indicating death, blue and purple is just fine - the plant needs it.

Grimmy

Derek Beaumont

Seedling
Reaction score
Move it there for a few days and then straight outside when back to 30 or so - the plant should star to go dormant at 40. Keep it dark, water far less but never dry. Once there are a few days in a row forecast at 30 outside it goes outside. It will discolor but not brown out indicating death, blue and purple is just fine - the plant needs it.

Grimmy

I'm often out of town for about a week at a time. When I'm gone it will be hard to know if it will get really cold so should I leave it in the cellar while I'm gone and only outside when I'm home and know it won't get too cold? How bad would it be if it was mostly in the cellar for the dormancy until we start getting consistent mild weather? And how cold can it be and survive? I've seen comments on here from -30 to 40?

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We are currently in a blizzard with snow and wind and temp between 10 and 20. Is it still fine outside?
Wind is an enemy for wintering trees. If you have enough snow, just bury it carefully, somewhere out of the sun and that will keep the temps pretty stabile.
Check it again in the spring, or if the snow melts.
CW

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've seen comments on here from -30 to 40?

On the ground in a North exposure it is VERY doubtful the plant itself no matter what the weather says will ever know those temperatures and IF it did I would not worry it...

Grimmy

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I didn't want to ask but, what's the deal with the slab of rock w/ tag?
Like a tomb stone :confused: Did you or someone predicting it's future?

JK!

Can we get a pic or two of the nebari/trunk/branches? Seeing other's trees, no matter the stage it's in, makes me smile :)

Derek Beaumont

Seedling
Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg
I didn't want to ask but, what's the deal with the slab of rock w/ tag?
Like a tomb stone :confused: Did you or someone predicting it's future?

JK!

Can we get a pic or two of the nebari/trunk/branches? Seeing other's trees, no matter the stage it's in, makes me smile :)

I think the rock was decoration and the tag is species info. Does kind of look like a tombstone though haha

And I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to pruning or wiring. Not really sure what I should cut or not or how to use wire or what shape to do. Just was having some fun with it sitting around this morning. Hoping to do some reading and start to understand better.

Derek Beaumont

Seedling
Reaction score
image.jpg Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm excited to learn and at least have a little idea about what I'm doing. Anyone have any good beginners books you could suggest?

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Listen to grimmy and don't do anything but get it through the winter. Survival is first, everything else secondary

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Listen to Grimmy n augustine.

Go to YouTube and search juniper bonsai. A wealth of information there ALSO.

It's like going to a lecture, but a whole lot more entertaining!

Looks to be a pretty good start on this one! I like it.

Top Bottom