Green to Greenhouses

Fallen_Reality

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello fellow Nuts! I just bought my first outdoor greenhouse. Specifically, a FlowerHouse PlantHouse Clear. 90 dollars after a rebate from Menards, woo!

Now that I have it, I was wondering if you guys and gals have any tips and tricks to get the most out of it. I am a tropical grower, mainly ficus, and bought it mostly to grow aerial roots on my plants during the warm months in Illinois. I was wondering how much warmer it would make my plants at night right now; it's recommended not to let ficus get below 55°F (13°C).

Thank you far any and all help!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Those aren't real insulated if it is what I think you are referring to, and won't provide a lot of cold protection at night. During the day they will warm up pretty good with the us pouring in, but if it is getting below 40 at night it is probably going to be too cold for your ficus in the greenhouse.

Fallen_Reality

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've read that having buckets of water (a thermal mass) can absorb heat during the day and it release during the night to keep temperatures higher. Also, I've heard putting down black landscape fabric can help to insulate the bottom of a greenhouse. Any insights anyone?

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
I've read that having buckets of water (a thermal mass) can absorb heat during the day and it release during the night to keep temperatures higher. Also, I've heard putting down black landscape fabric can help to insulate the bottom of a greenhouse. Any insights anyone?

I'm no expert on the topic, but you've bought it so I say try out different setups, buy a good thermometer and monitor the night time temps to see how much heat is retained and if it's viable. The water thing makes complete sense, water holds alot more heat than air and I'm sure it will make a difference but how much of a difference is the question i suppose.

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
There are both analog as well as digital minimum/maximum thermometers. You want one of those if your really serious about operating a greenhouse-cold house.

sean f

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have a greenhouse,without any heat it's the same as air temp at night.
Most people I've heard of using the water for thermal mass are using
Multiple 55 gallon drums.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Concrete block flooring can also gather heat and release it at night, I also use water as well.

Top Bottom