Greengage Ground Layer

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Today I’ve been pruning the fruit trees in the “in-laws” garden, one being a greengage plum, prunus domestica subsp italica. I’ve collected various little root suckers including some funky little golf ball sized burrs (a result of years of lawn mowing) and a few other little knick knacks.
C24C5805-AB48-48AF-A3CB-25121AF7F088.jpeg4E6EFFB1-7F99-4D2D-A13D-C893815C8043.jpeg

One of the suckers has been repeatedly been cutback badly over the years so it’s taken on quite a nice shape but as it’s probably part of the main trunk I would like layer it. Fine, but this is a garden that several dogs use as their toilet so does anybody have experience of using pooch pee protective paraphernalia that can offer advice? Or would an odd dose of urine not make much difference?
D5A9B2A2-09BC-4495-90BE-32F0C2278668.jpeg98A3CEAD-7E85-4F17-94D1-5C180A525247.jpeg

Also, is now a suitable time to carry out a layer or should I wait til its leafed out first? Thanks.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
this is a garden that several dogs use as their toilet so does anybody have experience of using pooch pee protective paraphernalia that can offer advice? Or would an odd dose of urine not make much difference?
Pet urine is not good. It is full of salts and the acidic nature can weaken or dissolve bark down to the cambium.

Any kind of physical barrier preventing them from the immediate vicinity would work.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Pet urine is not good. It is full of salts and the acidic nature can weaken or dissolve bark down to the cambium.

Any kind of physical barrier preventing them from the immediate vicinity would work.
Thanks. I thought that would probably be the case so I guess I’ll have to get my thinking cap on. I was wondering about some kind of cross between a ground layered pot and a wrapped up air layer with a screen or some such protecting from splash back.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks. I thought that would probably be the case so I guess I’ll have to get my thinking cap on. I was wondering about some kind of cross between a ground layered pot and a wrapped up air layer with a screen or some such protecting from splash back.
Those are some really nice digs by the way, that’s quite a haul. I’m a little confused with what you are getting at though with the one you have in the ground -it sounds like you could perhaps use the airlayer approach @sorce has a thread on using a container and a lid. However, maybe just use a larger plastic storage container, like one for a casserole or such...this would be some kind of barrier above and below.
Or perhaps just some simple lattice fencing around the whole shabang, and do a regular air layer??

I’m not sure how an above-groundlayer method could work unless you built a box, filled it, and then had some kind of cover for the soil surface. Is something like that what you had in mind?
I’ll try to find that thread and link it here.
Thanks

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
proach @sorce has a thread on using a container

Hell yeah a casserole sized one!

Sorce

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Those are some really nice digs by the way, that’s quite a haul. I’m a little confused with what you are getting at though with the one you have in the ground -it sounds like you could perhaps use the airlayer approach @sorce has a thread on using a container and a lid. However, maybe just use a larger plastic storage container, like one for a casserole or such...this would be some kind of barrier above and below.
Or perhaps just some simple lattice fencing around the whole shabang, and do a regular air layer??

I’m not sure how an above-groundlayer method could work unless you built a box, filled it, and then had some kind of cover for the soil surface. Is something like that what you had in mind?
Thanks
Well I couldn’t find that Sorce thread, but Appalachian Bonsai on YouTube does something similar that could maybe get the job done and be protective from the pups at the site of the airlayer if not more..?
A24973AA-1EFB-41A4-B713-5332E6F1772C.jpeg
81240969-DCA9-440E-9D9E-41CA8660B7E3.png

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Sorce
Kaaapow!!!
Appalachian Bonsai needs to be throwing down some royalties!¡!

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score

Thanks
Nice thanks for the advice man. I can definitely see the contained box jobby being the way forward. I meant to carry out a normal air layer in a pot at ground level then to wrap the top of the top with packing wrap to stop anything unwanted getting in. Containing the whole thing in a ham box (or suitable alternative) and using the radialdisc™️ makes much more sense though so i‘ll have fun giving it a go.

Yea I was quite glad to get a few little tidbits for my trouble. I don't know how many will survive or really how they’ll end up, but I was hoping to get a few flowering mame and shohin in the long run. The little knobbly ones are just something different really. I saw the post on bonsai tonight with the mame chojubai and it got me thinking...

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score

Sorce
Nice one Sorce. Such a simple idea when you think about it, but luckily you’ve done all the thinking for us! Thanks man, ill have fun playing about with a few of these now. Have you tried any on horizontal branches and do they still get the same radial spread?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you tried any on horizontal branches and do they still get the same radial spread?

For a second I thought you meant FOR branches, like ... Guiding new buds.

That would work I reckon.

Hair ties perhaps, just rolled down on the bud.

Good Idea!

Sorce

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Those little burrs are very interesting. Do keep us posted on their growth.
CW

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Those little burrs are very interesting. Do keep us posted on their growth.
CW
Thanks! I will do. Providing they make it through I think I’ll be asking for advice on ideas with these guys because whatever I do I don't want to put too much material on them and lose their character. I think some proper research on mame is the first step for me there.

Top Bottom