Greenhouses: few questions

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
How do greenhouses help with establishing collected material?

Is there anything special you will want to do when putting collected material into a greenhouse? -like take the tree out every once in a while or something?

Is there anything to help with mold growing in greenhouses? I have had this problem in the past when I did a bunch of cuttings.

Thanks!

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
FWIW, because I don't have one but -

First is that per say the green house doesn't help the tree, it creates an atmosphere that gives you control over temps., and humidity. It gives you a longer growing period in which the tree can "settle in"/recover from the collection. If not used properly, i.e. putting a tree in a green house mid summer doors closed etc., or not monitoring the temps and leaving less than hardy trees in it during the winter, you can do damage to the tree. Heat and ventilation is what they help to control.

As far as the in and out, if the conditions in the greenhouse are controled properly you don't need to do it.

Mold in there will be a function of ventilation, to wet too long , VIOLA mold. They aren't an automatic panacea, and there are costs over and above the purchase and install of the unit, costs can include - heat/heater, electricity/wiring, fans, Tstats., permits to install, possibly contractors, benches need to be made/bought to fit, repairs,etc..

Not trying to discourage you, but enough of these run against my situation, so I don't have one, would I like too, I'd say yes.

Marija Hajdic

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in USDA zone 9a - Mediterranean very dry climate. Also I have greenhouse.
Because after collecting care is essential, when buds starting, and plant is still not healthy enough. In greenhouse you can maintain high humidity, and help tree to recover.

For new collected plants is very important soil temperature for root development. If you are in cooler climate, this is one of the reasons how greenhouse can help you.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Is there anything special you will want to do when putting collected material into a greenhouse? -like take the tree out every once in a while or something?

Is there anything to help with mold growing in greenhouses? I have had this problem in the past when I did a bunch of cuttings.

Thanks!

You don't need a greenhouse where you live. You especially don't need one for collected material where you live. I would kill to have your post collection growing conditions. Ever see a greenhouse at Muranaka's? Misters maybe.....

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
You don't need a greenhouse where you live. You especially don't need one for collected material where you live. I would kill to have your post collection growing conditions. Ever see a greenhouse at Muranaka's? Misters maybe.....

George tells me he's thinking about getting one. Although I'm sure I don't need it, but the questions is do you think it will benefit the trees at all?

It's a bit too late-I bought one today:) so I guess we will see.

Thanks for the input Al, good call!

donkey

Mame
Reaction score

Thanks!

The best thing to help mold in your greenhouse is to have no ventilation and overwater everything why do you want mold in your greenhouse ???? :D

just kidding ventilation is essential ideally 2 vents one at either end a large one low down and a smaller one at the opposite side high up this will create the perfect air flow. Also try to dry up any excess water from watering unless of course you have a low humidity problem then do the opposite.

Top Bottom