greenware-- to post or not to post?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Boondock,
I kind of agree with the consensus on the balled feet. Have you fired that one yet? It seems that feet with that much mass might tend to explode during firing.

Chris

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
From someone who does not know jack about making pots anything from this process is very educational.

I think the real value for everyone would lie in a progression series like we do with trees. This way there will be recorded evidence for how certain techniques work and how various different glazes and so forth perform.

It may help to reduce the variability of the outcome and help everyone to learn what works and what does not.

Just a thought.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think the real value for everyone would lie in a progression series like we do with trees. This way there will be recorded evidence for how certain techniques work and how various different glazes and so forth perform.

It is one thing to pay $100 for a pot and appreciate its beauty. It in another to pay $100 and understand the complexity of the process and the human effort that goes into it. I like seeing all the steps because it helps me understand the "story" of the pot. It makes me feel good because I understand the years of work that go into my trees - and now I can see the years of experience required to master pot construction.

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
Boondock,
I kind of agree with the consensus on the balled feet. Have you fired that one yet? It seems that feet with that much mass might tend to explode during firing.

Chris

Hey KC, I made the ball feet by making a small clay ball about the size of a US quarter, I rolled it in my hands and waiting till it was leather hard, then using a utility knife I cut the ball in half, then I scored and slipped the half-rounds on to a small disc of leather hard clay. So the mass is really not going to be an issue. What I should have done, is cut the ball into thirds, like the graphic i made.

This was the first time I made feet like this, so I learned a lesson. The nice thing is that a pot this size contains about .25 cents of clay, so its no big loss.

Attachments

• ball_feet.jpg
    ball_feet.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 8

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
it snowed like crazy today, so I sat inside and made this

potC.jpg

it's 5.5 X 5.5 square, 29 separate pieces, and you don't want to know how long it took me to make

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Not only time, but how much planning. That's not something you can just throw together on a whim.

Great job BTW.

What color is that clay?

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
haha, yeah, but you CANNOT believe the mess it makes. I used to use Oregon Brown (seen here) which is their darkest clay, its has alot of Red iron Oxide and some Manganese Dioxide incorporated in the clay, but holy cow, it stains everything. It's been awhile since I played with it, so maybe I pick up 25 pounds this week.

Last edited:

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
just made this today, it's a little cutie. Everybody should learn to make bonsai pots..... it's so easy. Pottery is not rocket science.

pot84.jpg

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice Boon! What size is it?

Attached the feet today on this 13in diameter pot

An oval using Paul's tutorial

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
WOW I like seeing pots!! Finished or not...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice works in progress guys.;)

Keith,

What type of clay is that nice dark brown? Standard 266?

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Laguna's black mountain

Looks like this at ^5 ox, ^6 is slightly darker. With reduction it's almost black

Top Bottom