Greetings from CO, USA. New bonsai - need advice

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@M. Frary - yes, that's him. Jack Wilke or Wilkie, unsure of spelling.

@rockm - YES, JUNIPERS ARE NOT EASY TO GROW 100% UNDER LIGHTS - but they are not impossible. The OP has a set up where outdoor growing is not possible, so accepting the OP's stated condition, I am mere supplying information. The OP already has the tree, so rather than telling them to dispose of it, I offered information.

I'm familiar with Denver area wild temperature swings in winter, sometimes 80+ degree difference between day and night if a front moves through. I have seen 70+ F in the day in January, then a front move through and that night it can be below zero. Wintering a juniper on a balcony is no less tricky than wintering on a windowsill. Window sill is less tricky. Less gear required.

I have an extensive light garden, some 1000+ orchids and other plants under lights. I have a number of trees that ''shouldn't survive'' under lights. Admittedly currently no Junipers, as I do have a back yard. I will admit that even a winter under lights will kill a JBP, Japanese black pines simply will not survive under lights even in my set up. So I am not saying just any tree can be grown indoors. Most northern temperate trees do not do well indoors. Most subtropical and tropical trees don't do well indoors. But a fair number of shade tolerant sub-tropical trees do survive, or even thrive indoors.

Given Jack Wilke's experience and the fact that I personally have seen his junipers in the past, it is POSSIBLE to grow Juniper procumbens under lights.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@M. Frary - yes, that's him. Jack Wilke or Wilkie, unsure of spelling.

@rockm - YES, JUNIPERS ARE NOT EASY TO GROW 100% UNDER LIGHTS - but they are not impossible. The OP has a set up where outdoor growing is not possible, so accepting the OP's stated condition, I am mere supplying information. The OP already has the tree, so rather than telling them to dispose of it, I offered information.

I'm familiar with Denver area wild temperature swings in winter, sometimes 80+ degree difference between day and night if a front moves through. I have seen 70+ F in the day in January, then a front move through and that night it can be below zero. Wintering a juniper on a balcony is no less tricky than wintering on a windowsill. Window sill is less tricky. Less gear required.

I have an extensive light garden, some 1000+ orchids and other plants under lights. I have a number of trees that ''shouldn't survive'' under lights. Admittedly currently no Junipers, as I do have a back yard. I will admit that even a winter under lights will kill a JBP, Japanese black pines simply will not survive under lights even in my set up. So I am not saying just any tree can be grown indoors. Most northern temperate trees do not do well indoors. Most subtropical and tropical trees don't do well indoors. But a fair number of shade tolerant sub-tropical trees do survive, or even thrive indoors.

Given Jack Wilke's experience and the fact that I personally have seen his junipers in the past, it is POSSIBLE to grow Juniper procumbens under lights.

Well, yeah, it is POSSIBLE that a beginner could pull it off, but it's certainly not very PROBABLE. And it's Jack Wikle--Jerry Meislik is another noted indoor enthusiast that has had some hard-won success--but doesn't use conifers, only tropicals
http://www.fukubonsai.com/2b2a2a.html
from Wikle's 1997 article---"KINDS OF TREES, Theoretically any tree, shrub or vine that doesn't require a cold, dormant period to thrive is a possibility. I have personally experimented with plants from more than three dozen genera growing them as bonsai indoors year around with no outdoor vacations. In doing this, it was soon apparent that some are easier to keep healthy than others. Generally the easier ones are those mentioned most often as indoor material in bonsai books and magazines...

"Now, how about needle evergreens as fluorescent light bonsai? I have heard again and again that junipers (Juniperus spp.) cannot be grown indoors for any length of time. I know that even if I swear here that my two oldest indoor junipers have grown inside under cool white fluorescent light for 21 and 19 years respectively with no outdoor vacations, there will be those who read this and continue to assure their friends that it cannot be done. Admittedly juniper growth is slow under fluorescent light, but they survive and are healthy.
I am convinced that most people, trying to be nice to their trees, over water junipers indoors. Let the soil surface of the established juniper get definitely dry between waterings. Incidentally, boxwoods, cotoneasters and serissas respond well to this treatment too; most azaleas also in my experience."

Jerry Meislik
http://www.fukubonsai.com/1a9a.html

Top Bottom