Greetings from New Zealand - Newbie thread :)

Reaction score
North Auckland (whangaparaoa), New Zealand
USDA Zone
10b
Hello everyone, my name is scott from new zealand (last i heard there was only one scott here). Thankfully bonsai is very unknown here and the gardening ban did not quite make it to bonsai! https://thespinoff.co.nz/media/18-0...akes-us-the-laughing-stock-of-the-internet-2/ don't even ask about this crazy law!

I've recently been given a conifer (on the hush hush), unsure what conifer exactly, by my neighbour. It's quite a big tree and i am wondering if its suitable to bonsai or not? I love bonsai, but I have no clue. I'm assuming this board would get alot of these types of posts, so if you could point me in the direction of a guide to follow that would be suitable for a tree this size that would be swell.

I have tried to bonsai about 10 years ago, but i failed hard. I think mainly i need someone to show me, as I don't seem to be able to follow the guides to well?

Thanks for all your help,

Scott, from NZ.

Attachments

• 20181009_072526.jpg
    20181009_072526.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20181009_072537.jpg
    20181009_072537.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20181009_072543.jpg
    20181009_072543.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 13

LeeInBama

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi BubblePoopScott. Greetings from Alabama, USA! That looks a bit like a blue point juniper, but don’t take my word as definitive, I’m only a seedling in this arena. Junipers make great bonsai probably because they’re very hardy and easy to shape. Ask some of the really experienced people like Mellow Mullet and Leo in N E Illinois. Nice guys and very helpful. Much more help than me.
Welcome to Bonsai! I hope you love it!
As an aside, New Zealand is a place I have wanted to see for the last 40 years or so. My wife is in love with both Australia and New Zealand. Maybe at some point after a lottery win or something equally miraculous I’ll get to see it.

LeeInBama

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Alabama, if you like anything from sugar white beaches in gulf shores to rock climbing and spelunking in north central to northeastern Alabama. Great hunting and fishing everywhere. I may be a bit biased.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
hahah that was funny. I recommend coming down to little new Zealand - its a nice little place. Im wanting to head over to the states sometime as well, only question is which state?

Hi and greetings from Christchurch, NZ.
I might have said hello before but hey, here’s another.
I thought I would weigh in on the ID of this tree - Thuja, by its flat growth pattern, and probably “Smargd” as its cultivar. We grow a shed load of these at work.
Unsure of the potential of this as so erect in growth, but there could be something in the bottom 1/3 to chop to, wire some branches, and regrow for another 3-5 years etc.
Enjoy the bonsai experience,
Charles

Top Bottom