Greetings from Southern California

Poimandres

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Greetings,

I’m new to the forum and am absorbing the wealth of knowledge contained here. I’ve grown plants and trees for culinary, medicinal and spiritual pursuits most of my life but recently I have become obsessed with the art of Bonsai.

As of today, I only have one proper bonsai (a Ficus microcarpa ‘Tiger Bark’) and have others trees in various phases of development.

Here’s a little Olive topiary that I recently dug up and started to prepare as a future bonsai. I plan to do a lot more pruning right before spring to remove the straight branches and improve the taper but was afraid to overly stress the tree initially. Open to any and all advice for how to best ensure this Ollie can develop into a beautiful bonsai.

Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 1.00.37 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-11-07 at 1.00.19 PM.png

This is a two year old Japanese Maple “bloodgood” that I recently moved into a slightly larger pot out of the seedling pot and started to wire. This is my first wire job, so critique away as I’m eager to learn! I’m considering moving her to a proper bonsai pot in a year or so as I’m pretty happy with the height and primary branching and want to maintain the trunk on the thinner side as she reminds me of an elegant dancer :) Again any advice/critique is most welcome!

IMG_3854.jpg

Thank you for having me and I am eager to continue to learn from all you.

P.S. If there are any Bonsai clubs/meetups/events in the general Los Angeles area that you recommend, please let me know!

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Welcome. Good luck with that bloodgood, japanese maples are tough in our area.

Poimandres

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Welcome. Good luck with that bloodgood, japanese maples are tough in our area.
Thank you! Any advice on the maple? Do you recommend I defoliate the leaves that have yet to drop?

I’ve been growing this one for a little under a year pretty much in the shade always under a canopy of mature trees and with some exposure to morning sunlight. Originally was planning to put in a large pot in the shade/dappled light area of the garden (before deciding to go bonsai).

I live above a canyon that opens to the ocean so temps stay a lot cooler than inland and the valleys and since learning that our water can be very harsh on Japanese maples l have since switched to watering exclusively with RO//DI.

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Sounds like youre doing all the right things. I wouldnt worry about defoliating.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You'll do great with that olive. Nice start. I'd recommend sticking with trees that do well in your area at first. J maples will be tough for you. Olives should be great. Other trees that you might look into include junipers, pomegranates, bouganvillea, Ficus, cedars and California oaks.

Here's a link that lists many S Cal clubs https://www.gsbfbonsai.org/southern-ca

Maybe a better list here https://www.gsbfbonsai.org/la-basin

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You'll do great with that olive. Nice start. I'd recommend sticking with trees that do well in your area at first. J maples will be tough for you. Olives should be great. Other trees that you might look into include junipers, pomegranates, bouganvillea, Ficus, cedars and California oaks.
This is a good point. I've been frustrated with some species that just don't want to love our weather.

I'd add Chinese Elm to the good list for southern CA.

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You can do acer palmatum here, its just hard. Year round shade, and meticulous watering are the key. I also use 100% akadama. Tridents and chinese elms are much easier for sure though.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Make sure you know your water pH. Our water in Laguna Hills was 8.5 pH out of the tap. Japanese maples like it slightly on the acidic side - 6.0-6.5 pH. If you have a water softener or RO/DI filter you will probably be fine, otherwise consider using an acid fertilizer like Super Iron 9-9-9 (available at the Ewing stores in SoCal).

Also protect it from low humidity. I think they can handle the sun much better than when the Santa Anas start to blow. If you don't protect them when the wind is coming off the desert, their leaves will dry out.

Poimandres

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thank you @BrianBay9 and @Wulfskaar for the list of some additional species that can do well out here and for the list of Bonsai Clubs in the area ( I think the Encino one may be the nearest for me) . Will keep my eye out for good material next time I'm at a nursery. I am growing Bougainvilleas in large pots around my back yard and some of them have developed incredibly gnarled trunks from the years of pruning back, I might have to convert one of those into a bonsai (if my wife permits :D).

I have a question regarding Ficuses. While I have mature ficus trees growing on the property I brought my Bonsai indoors with the weather lately. Night temps have been in the low to mid ~40ºs F last couple nights. Was this the right call or should I have left it out to enjoy the rains like the big trees seem to be loving?

@Ruddigger, do you use akadema for all stages of development or only when going into a bonsai pot? (I assume it's for the high water retention)

@Bonsai Nut - Thank you for warning about the Santa Anas; I am using RO/DI water, but will keep my eye on the pH levels thanks for the detailed info.

Just want to say again how happy I am to have come across this forum, I found myself reading through old posts last night to early this morning. Treasure trove of information!

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a question regarding Ficuses. While I have mature ficus trees growing on the property I brought my Bonsai indoors with the weather lately. Night temps have been in the low to mid ~40ºs F last couple nights. Was this the right call or should I have left it out to enjoy the rains like the big trees seem to be loving?

My ficus bonsai stay outside unless night temps get down to mid 30's F. They don't grow much in the winter, but they don't seem to mind it much.

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Pure akadama mostly for when going into a bonsai pot, although I am experimenting with developing some shohin in pure akadama as well.

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Welcome! There are a bunch of clubs here in SoCal, most of them are super friendly and will allow you to come check out a meeting for free to see if you like it. It doesn't sound like you need encouragement but I'd definitely recommend joining a club. In addition to meeting likeminded people, most of the clubs have local experts and travelling bonsai professionals that will conduct classes and workshops which is a great way to grow your skills.

Also, I'd mark your calendar for Bonsai-a-thon at the Huntington Library (Saturday & Sunday, February 18-19, 2023). It's one of the biggest events here in SoCal, they have multiple demos, vendors, raffles, etc. And if you haven't been to the Huntington it's an incredible place. They have a Chinese and Japanese garden that are worthy of a visit on their own.

As for species that do well here, I'd add Japanese Black Pine. They are iconic in the bonsai world and grow great in sunny, warm climates. Peter Macaseib has some of the best JBP around and he's from LA. For more inspiration on what grows well here look at his thread (LOL, just don't get discouraged if your trees don't look like his). Also cork oak and coastal live oak do very well here.

Poimandres

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Welcome! There are a bunch of clubs here in SoCal, most of them are super friendly and will allow you to come check out a meeting for free to see if you like it. It doesn't sound like you need encouragement but I'd definitely recommend joining a club. In addition to meeting likeminded people, most of the clubs have local experts and travelling bonsai professionals that will conduct classes and workshops which is a great way to grow your skills.

Also, I'd mark your calendar for Bonsai-a-thon at the Huntington Library (Saturday & Sunday, February 18-19, 2023). It's one of the biggest events here in SoCal, they have multiple demos, vendors, raffles, etc. And if you haven't been to the Huntington it's an incredible place. They have a Chinese and Japanese garden that are worthy of a visit on their own.

As for species that do well here, I'd add Japanese Black Pine. They are iconic in the bonsai world and grow great in sunny, warm climates. Peter Macaseib has some of the best JBP around and he's from LA. For more inspiration on what grows well here look at his thread (LOL, just don't get discouraged if your trees don't look like his). Also cork oak and coastal live oak do very well here.

Thank you LuZiKui! Good to know the JBPs grow well out here.

I adore the Huntington Botanical Gardens, always worth the drive. Will definitely be planning to go during the event in February, thank you for brining it to my attention!

Top Bottom