Greetings from the PNW!

AweStruck_PNW

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
That soil will give you trouble with the Pines I know by experience, you need to add perlite or pomice to the mix and dont keep them too humid
Fantastic! I appreciate the advice as this has been a concern of mine as well. I still have them in the seeding soil I used to germinate the seeds and have wanted to get them into something with better drainage, but was worried they were too small to transplant. What do you recommend I do? I have some normal potting soil, that's 50/50 perlite, or I also have some organic bonsai soil that's real barky and gritty. Would one of those suffice? Does bottom watering help much or at all?

AweStruck_PNW

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Hi Casey, Welcome aboard. Good to see another PNWer in the house! You should or already have, get a lot of great advise here!
I already have! Seems like a great community and meeting people in my area is incredibly helpful!
I joined a bonsai group ok Facebook and it can be quite mean spirited at times haha

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Casey, by now you might have discovered there are a great number of Bonsai Nuts in the greater Seattle area. I'm certain there are several living just down the street from you.
Our Pacific NW has some outstanding resources for the bonsai nut. The Pacific Bonsai Museum is in Federal Way. Elandan Gardens is just across the water in Bremerton. Our local club, which was mentions earlier, is now starting hybrid meetings. That is, in-person and on Zoom. We are very fortunate to have some great artists and teachers both here and in the Portland area.
There's always help nearby. You're gonna love it!

AweStruck_PNW

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Casey, by now you might have discovered there are a great number of Bonsai Nuts in the greater Seattle area. I'm certain there are several living just down the street from you.
Our Pacific NW has some outstanding resources for the bonsai nut. The Pacific Bonsai Museum is in Federal Way. Elandan Gardens is just across the water in Bremerton. Our local club, which was mentions earlier, is now starting hybrid meetings. That is, in-person and on Zoom. We are very fortunate to have some great artists and teachers both here and in the Portland area.
There's always help nearby. You're gonna love it!
I very much appreciate the info! I would love to meet some of the locals for a little more hands on learning...books and YouTube videos answer some questions, but for every question answered, five new ones appear hahaha.

I will most definitely have to check out the bonsai Museum sooner than later! I'm sure that's the first step to connecting with the community 😀

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you grown these before?? Do they make good bonsai? They sure look cool in their natural state so I'm hoping a mini pine forest will offer the same beauty...in about a decade lol
Personally have 9 of 3 species. One for almost 28 years just getting to training stage at 33 years. Good, Yes but with much time and modified training from "normal" trees😜.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I will most definitely have to check out the bonsai Museum sooner than later! I'm sure that's the first step to connecting with the community 😀

You are welcome to come on down. I am usually there working every Thursday.

The first step to getting linked up it’s actually to join Puget Sound Bonsai Association. That’s where you will meet many of the locals during monthly meetings and workshops.

Cheers
DSD sends

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Doing good with your seedlings! In spring, start combing the nurseries for some larger material that will give you something more developed to play with. It's nice to have trees in different stages of growth. PNW is a hotbed of Bonsai activity, so you're really lucky.

Keep up the good work!

AweStruck_PNW

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Personally have 9 of 3 species. One for almost 28 years just getting to training stage at 33 years. Good, Yes but with much time and modified training from "normal" trees😜.
Well if there's one thing that Bonsai screams, it's patience haha...so I'll do my best to keep them alive and happy so hopefully my dream of having a little forest of my own can be achieved!
I've been told that they might struggle in this seeding soil which I'm sure is true as it will retain water more than needed. Do you think I could replant these anytime soon or are they far too delicate at this stage?

AweStruck_PNW

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Doing good with your seedlings! In spring, start combing the nurseries for some larger material that will give you something more developed to play with. It's nice to have trees in different stages of growth. PNW is a hotbed of Bonsai activity, so you're really lucky.

Keep up the good work!
I appreciate the encouraging, kind words! Thank you friend! I'm very new to this but am beginning to look at every tree in a whole new light! Seems
👋 Just saying hi! I'm over in Bothell (Canyon park) so just down the road from you. Welcome to the obsession :D
Hello in Bothell! My doctors office is right over by Canyon Park so you are correct, literally just down the road! I seem to have started a pretty good hobby for the area haha...glad to know I've got lots of resources to look to!

Have you joined any of the local groups like the Puget Sound Bonsai Society? (https://www.pugetsoundbonsai.com/) I've been encouraged to check into it and will likely join sometime in the near future (I have a few weeks of travel for work and then I'll probably move forward). I would be excited to meet up with anyone experienced though cause sometimes I feel like I'm driving blind! haha.. Thanks again for stopping by and encouraging my new found love for trees! :)

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well if there's one thing that Bonsai screams, it's patience haha...so I'll do my best to keep them alive and happy so hopefully my dream of having a little forest of my own can be achieved!
I've been told that they might struggle in this seeding soil which I'm sure is true as it will retain water more than needed. Do you think I could replant these anytime soon or are they far too delicate at this stage?
Once trunks have taken on wood color/hardened off and late Winter/early Spring potting time arrives IF roots can be handled with great care should be OK to do. Conifers should have real foliage by then at least starting to grow☺️.

woodkraftbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I appreciate the encouraging, kind words! Thank you friend! I'm very new to this but am beginning to look at every tree in a whole new light! Seems

Hello in Bothell! My doctors office is right over by Canyon Park so you are correct, literally just down the road! I seem to have started a pretty good hobby for the area haha...glad to know I've got lots of resources to look to!

Have you joined any of the local groups like the Puget Sound Bonsai Society? (https://www.pugetsoundbonsai.com/) I've been encouraged to check into it and will likely join sometime in the near future (I have a few weeks of travel for work and then I'll probably move forward). I would be excited to meet up with anyone experienced though cause sometimes I feel like I'm driving blind! haha.. Thanks again for stopping by and encouraging my new found love for trees! :)
I haven't but I've been in the hobby for a couple of years and have plenty of trees and willing to share advice. I've been working on making bonsai pots at a studio down the road as well. Definitely up for meeting up and sharing knowledge! I'm also early 30's and we have a young dog (bernese mountain dog)! Shoot me a pm and we can work on getting something setup down the road.

Top Bottom