Greg Ceramics

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I binged on a bunch of his videos last week. He’s inspired me to try a couple of new shapes for my ceramics class. Today I put together a slab built mokko kind of like one in his video. I really enjoy seeing his work being built and gives you great ideas to try for yourself.

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
He's definitely got me wanting to do some pottery. Haven't done it since high school, but I'm confident I could do it again. I just don't have a kiln, I'd have to rent one from a local ceramic studio.
I take classes at the local arts center. It’s far away, but definitely worth the drive. Try looking in your area for a local arts center, community college or extension course. I’ve done ceramics at three different schools over the years. It took a while to find the art center ( I’m new to the area) but it so worthwhile. Another option is to look on or run an ad on Craig’s List. There might be someone who would rent you kiln space. If you’ve got clay, your don’t need too many tools and can do it at home.

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I binged on a bunch of his videos last week. He’s inspired me to try a couple of new shapes for my ceramics class. Today I put together a slab built mokko kind of like one in his video. I really enjoy seeing his work being built and gives you great ideas to try for yourself.

I've got a $50 Amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket and I can't decide if I want to buy boat parts, bonsai tools, or CLAY at this point!

There's a local ceramic studio that has wheel rental by the hour. I've emailed her to see if she'd fire my stuff for me.

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I've got a $50 Amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket and I can't decide if I want to buy boat parts, bonsai tools, or CLAY at this point!

There's a local ceramic studio that has wheel rental by the hour. I've emailed her to see if she'd fire my stuff for me.
I wouldn't buy clay on Amazon. Shipping could be killer if you don't have Prime, and worse, the clay may not be the right body for the kiln to fire. At Multnomah Arts Center they only allow you to use the clay they sell. It's super cheap, so definitely no price issue. They don't want anyone to use a low fire clay body because they high fire to about cone 10 and low fire bodies could melt and ruin the everything in the kiln, the shelves and the kiln itself. Best to hold off on buying clay until you have consulted with the place you plan on firing.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Heh heh,dig and refine for yourself.
Build a kiln for Bonsai pots, brick and kanthal wire.
Frit your own glazes, ball mill and have fun.
Good Day
Anthony

* In the ancient days of land lines and snail mail letters.
these guys used to our supplier ---

Ceramic supply of New York and New Jersey

Sadly, Google says the store has closed.

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I wouldn't buy clay on Amazon. Shipping could be killer if you don't have Prime, and worse, the clay may not be the right body for the kiln to fire. At Multnomah Arts Center they only allow you to use the clay they sell. It's super cheap, so definitely no price issue. They don't want anyone to use a low fire clay body because they high fire to about cone 10 and low fire bodies could melt and ruin the everything in the kiln, the shelves and the kiln itself. Best to hold off on buying clay until you have consulted with the place you plan on firing.

I found a local pottery studio that charges $0.02 per cubic inch for firing. I'm waiting to see if they have rules on what kind of clay I should use.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Our art center sells 25 pound bags of clay for $12. $9 for a recycled bag. I buy 1 bag I leave at the studio and 1 bag for home.

Top Bottom