Grey Alder

henrykiser

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dad dug this apparent grey alder in late winter at my folks’ property along a stream in North Georgia. We scouted around looking for hornbeam and based on the trunk thought we had found an interesting one growing upright on a slope. He researched more based on the buds and looks like it is grey alder.
Base is around 1”. Gonna let it grow for a few then start to shape but really excited about the character in the trunk...would like to keep both trunks and shorten them in a few years. Thank you for any suggestions!

Attachments

• 51F94B49-6462-433C-90FE-E0ABA34AFB5A.jpeg
    51F94B49-6462-433C-90FE-E0ABA34AFB5A.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 16367B7D-E010-4577-A0F3-93E4F9E6D4BF.jpeg
    16367B7D-E010-4577-A0F3-93E4F9E6D4BF.jpeg
    311.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 8573A2F2-56DB-440C-8C69-9EA6B3FB33E8.jpeg
    8573A2F2-56DB-440C-8C69-9EA6B3FB33E8.jpeg
    241.1 KB · Views: 75

Bayard

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice one, give it plenty of water and it will go boom! This is one of my grey alders that I collected a couple of months ago. Just waiting for them cones =)

Attachments

• 2020-05-13 20.37.23.jpg
    2020-05-13 20.37.23.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 74

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice one, give it plenty of water and it will go boom! This is one of my grey alders that I collected a couple of months ago. Just waiting for them cones =)
I'm not terribly familiar with Alder.....but the OP's tree does look like one.
Your tree looks like some kind of cherry.
Note the bark difference

Bayard

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Note the bark difference

It's an alder though, at least it was before we chopped of the "top" ;)

henrykiser

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the response! Yours looks fatty. I'll pop some updates on here when it leafs out. I was so fixated on finding hornbeam which I still would love to do, but now I'm excited to work on a similar tree that is less commonly utilized for bonsai...

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Note the bark difference

I tend to agree. New shoot color isnt right and appears, though picture is tough to see, oppisite leaf pattern. Alders are alternating. Have any pictures of the cones you mentioned?

Either way looks like a nice tree.

Henry, I like the multiple trunks in your first picture. I would work with this as front, and now start your branching from this angle to make a realistic looking natural styled tree. If you want something more drastic and interesting, the movement in your second picture is really nice. You could chop back to an upward bud and grow on with a lot of lower trunk movement in the future.

Igor. T. Ljubek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
His or mine? ;)

Yeah the ridged leaves that are less lengthy and narrow than wild cherry is what makes me think it's alder...

henrykiser, your tree is an alder (i think so), Bayard's one is a Wild cherry or sour cherry or any kind of cherry. Just look at the bark :) Sorry about confusion ...

Grey Alder: 1589458007077.png

and Wild Cherry: 1589458125805.png 1589458150091.png

Last edited:

Bayard

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I tend to agree. New shoot color isnt right and appears, though picture is tough to see, oppisite leaf pattern. Alders are alternating. Have any pictures of the cones you mentioned?

I have nothing against being corrected and I must say that the leaf pattern is as you say not alternating, thanks for the input. I´m gonna have to update you in a couple of weeks.

I was so sure it was an alder since it was growing just under a big grey alder with some smaller ones.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I own a forest full of alders, they're super variable in bark type.
Some of them don't make real barky bark for the first 30 years.

To my knowledge, all cherries have little nubs on the base of the leaf, sometimes a bit further down on the stem of the leaf. Most of the times they start out reddish. Those show as soon as the leaf pops out. If your tree doesn't have those two opposing nubs, then it's easy to say it's not a cherry.

henrykiser

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Henry, I like the multiple trunks in your first picture. I would work with this as front, and now start your branching from this angle to make a realistic looking natural styled tree. If you want something more drastic and interesting, the movement in your second picture is really nice. You could chop back to an upward bud and grow on with a lot of lower trunk movement in the future.
Thank you for the time and notes my good man! That's the one that I pictured as the front first off. I'm thinking I may go in between the two angles, I'll find a better picture and put it up here. Also dug up some sweet birch and a little beech that might be cool in 25 years...👌

henrykiser

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Letting this sweet baby grow out, will revisit structure after a few years. Last pics of the leaf-out...

Attachments

• C0804617-5039-4D6A-9B1D-BB46C2363F11.jpeg
    C0804617-5039-4D6A-9B1D-BB46C2363F11.jpeg
    308.7 KB · Views: 25
  • B58FD681-BA2F-4584-9616-0DF3612294A8.jpeg
    B58FD681-BA2F-4584-9616-0DF3612294A8.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 25
Top Bottom