Grey dogwood

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Curious if anyone has experimented with grey dogwood. They are everywhere here. The purplish fall foliage isn't bad, they seem to get decent bark at a young age, and the white berries on the red stems are nice in winter. Some of the leaves do get pretty ugly in summer and they create tons of suckers though. I've only found one with a trunk I've found worth collecting so far.
20180330_154141.jpg

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I collected this a couple years ago primarily for the bark, which unfortunately came off along with the moss that was covering it. It was in a grove of interconnected trees in upstate PA.

Here's a pic during last years repot. Not much taper, so I bored out the center to try and create some. It grew good last year. Still buried under leaf much now.
Grey Dogwood.jpg
CW

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some time ago....

I collected a dogwood in summer and kept it alive indoors for some time before mites did it in.

Pretty tough and you have a nice trunk to build on...

I would pay most attention to how big a branch gets before its center goes hollow, and somehow utilize that information to build nice sustainable branches.

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That is a nice big trunk Will! I've no experience with these, and we don't have any wild ones here. I will be interested to see how this goes.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That is a nice big trunk Will! I've no experience with these, and we don't have any wild ones here. I will be interested to see how this goes.
I do think they have some bonsai potential. Particularly for the winter look of the white berries on red twigs. The bark is great too but unfortunately fragile. I knocked a lot off digging it up. With what I've seen in the woods they have no difficulty healing wounds. The challenge is finding a trunk that isn't thin because they can grow so close together and that has any kind of flare at the base. I don't think there will be any with surface roots found but there's a lot to look through. They make up a large portion of part of the woods around here though and are native so it's worth experimenting with.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had my eye on one to layer as its too big to collect.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Collected 2 more today. Pics tomorrow after I clean the moss off.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Haven't gotten all the moss off but here's two more. Going to let it dry out more so maybe less bark comes off with it. I'd like to keep as much of the lichen on as I can too which should be easier when it's dry.

I took this before carving down that big wound some and covering it up. From observing the ones in the woods I expect I'll heal alright. The movement in the trunk doesn't show up well in 2D.
20180401_100051.jpg

20180401_101157.jpg

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Most of the moss is off and I saved a good bit of lichen thanks to tweezers. Mossed trunks on these are super common. They seem to grow the most in low moist areas. The moss may be a pain but lichens love these trees too and I love the look some lichens give. They add a sense of age to me.
20180401_163652.jpg

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ok, these three are the last I'm collecting. I figured since I'm trying a tree not used as bonsai and there's so many in the area I might as well experiment with more than just a couple. Plus there's more chance of at least one surviving being dug up. Not that I've lost a tree to collecting yet. Unless I've just jinxed myself in saying that.

20180405_185617.jpg
20180405_185631.jpg

This big one is just covered in lichens. And i love lichens. More than just on bonsai. Because of that I left it tall to keep as much of them as possible. I'll carve taper eventually and keep it a tall slender tree.
20180405_185656.jpg
The base:
20180405_191035_001.jpg

And an added bonus I took this itty bitty multiflora rose. It had zero feeder roots but if it doesn't survive it's one less invasive plant.
20180405_191446.jpg

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The first one has buds forming on the trunk!:D

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well the first and last one posted survived. The rest didn't survive collection. The only similarities I can tell between the survivors and ones that didn't are the areas they were from. All the ones that died came from a low, wet, densely overgrown area of the woods while the survivors were higher and drier. The last tree budded out vigorously all over the trunk with a ton of suckers too. The first is much slower to recover but is still alive at least.

Top Bottom