Grey Owl. Thinned & Styled

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What I'm trying to say about the DE is that it would be the 1st reason I would consider repotting
and excluding it. Some of the pictures do trend towards a mossy surface, and that could help
a collected tree to a point, but can also trend towards too damp too if not careful.
It's terribly difficult to be careful and be away all day at the same time...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What I'm trying to say about the DE is that it would be the 1st reason I would consider repotting
and excluding it. Some of the pictures do trend towards a mossy surface, and that could help
a collected tree to a point, but can also trend towards too damp too if not careful.
It's terribly difficult to be careful and be away all day at the same time...
You're on to something there Colombo! Thanks for chiming in.

So....I couldn't wait.
Had to get eyes on it...
I think I know what was wrong now....
I originally had a thick layer of sphagnum moss on this tree's surface.
It broke down since 2018 and I was being fooled at how wet it was.....it always seemed to stay wet....but turns out, it was dry underneath.
The top 1-2 inches was all damp, and full of sphagnum particles.
Under the trunk was dry as a bone, but the root growth was good.
I didn't cut any roots, but I did repot into an 18" wide rectangle that I had on the shelf.
Feeling better now actually .... hope the repot doesn't slow it down.

I will continue with the fish, I've used it twice this year.
20210615_222621.jpg20210615_224011.jpg20210615_225451.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It is super long and shaggy.
I think I need to wire it just to lift the branches and get them off of each other.
That will be tonight's goal....

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's a nice pot Mike!
I would have waited till after Summer solstice as with mugo, to pot with a vigorous tree if it had to be done
or at least next full moon which is June 24th.

I use these supplements with Superthrive when I repot. The K-L-N is a liquid rooting hormone that helps with transplant shock.
However, that listing, excludes your state MD. I order mine from https://stonelantern.com/collections/bonsai-soil-fertilizer
and both are on sale ATM. Watch the expiration date on the KLN, worth a call before you order!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It is super long and shaggy.
I think I need to wire it just to lift the branches and get them off of each other.
That will be tonight's goal....
:eek:
Mikes Grey Owl.jpg
You MIGHT raise this one a little using wire big enough that 3 coils will hold it without wiring out to the tip, like 2/3 (lignified)
and just enough to get light below it. other than that, foliage is thin enough light will penetrate. Focus on recovery.
A tree kept on the edge, will teeter in the heavier direction, be it weakness or vigor, it will teeter in that direction.
It's like a retirement fund or blood bank...if you keep drawing out you will deplete it.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
:eek:
View attachment 380931
You MIGHT raise this one a little using wire big enough that 3 coils will hold it without wiring out to the tip, like 2/3 (lignified)
and just enough to get light below it. other than that, foliage is thin enough light will penetrate. Focus on recovery.
A tree kept on the edge, will teeter in the heavier direction, be it weakness or vigor, it will teeter in that direction.
It's like a retirement fund or blood bank...if you keep drawing out you will deplete it.
Just a bit to keep the foliage from laying on top of itself.
Thanks!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Lots of green tips, 10 days later.
I gave it a very light dose of Alaska Fish on Saturday. Gonna give it more tomorrow night.
I'm glad I decided to repot it, and still kinda shocked at how dry the interior of that root mass was.
I think its much more happy now.....and it has tons of room to grow in that big pot. I hope to leave it in there for many years while it gains health and gets styled.
20210625_062406.jpg20210625_062444.jpg

I know you like my ghetto bench leg extensions in the background.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The tree has been showing more brown tips again....this is getting old now....
Its still growing as well. But its continued to get more leggy and scraggly looking.

Gonna keep up fertilizer and I'm wondering about putting it in the shade for a while.....late in the year for that thought, I know.
I can't decide if shade is a pro or a con in this situation.
I've been continuing with the sprays as well....

Pretty soon the branches will be on the ground.

Show of hands.....who would recommend cutting it back over winter or early next spring.

I haven't cut it back at all since 2019, besides removing the sacrifice branch in 2020.
The branches have all gotten so long and weak....I dunno what's the best plan.

I'll take pics this evening when I get home.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Cutting is back is the last thing I would do.

The only way to get it back to healthy is to strike the proper balance of water and oxygen in the container. A severe foliage reduction is not going to help with that, because the juniper will then use even less water and the container will take longer to cycle between wet/dry. The container also looks quite large.

If it were me, I would focus on water. Assuming the pot has suitable drainage holes, I would tilt it on its side. If it does not have good drainage holes, I would either drill some or manually tilt the pot after each watering to ensure great drainage. Yes, this is a huge pain but it works.

I would also fertilize with the fish as you have been, plus Biogold on the surface. Biogold makes a huge difference, even compared to other organic pellet ferts.

I would not apply any more fungicides or chemical ferts.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Cutting is back is the last thing I would do.

The only way to get it back to healthy is to strike the proper balance of water and oxygen in the container. A severe foliage reduction is not going to help with that, because the juniper will then use even less water and the container will take longer to cycle between wet/dry. The container also looks quite large.

If it were me, I would focus on water. Assuming the pot has suitable drainage holes, I would tilt it on its side. If it does not have good drainage holes, I would either drill some or manually tilt the pot after each watering to ensure great drainage. Yes, this is a huge pain but it works.

I would also fertilize with the fish as you have been, plus Biogold on the surface. Biogold makes a huge difference, even compared to other organic pellet ferts.

I would not apply any more fungicides or chemical ferts.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Thanks.
I actually do that with other trees....and this one gets far less water than most of the others....but I guess it could still be too wet down there....
I may need to utilize the old bamboo chopstick in the soil.
Tilting is a good option for sure....I'll do that today.
I dont know anything about biogold, but I'll look for some.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Since the new growth has come out, I've been seeing the decline in the older hanging foliage....losing its color, more going brown.
So I cut it back to the healthy foliage, leaving stubs on every branch I cut.
I will continue to fertilize throughout the fall and hope for some decent, non-tip-blighty growth in the spring and summer next year.
I need to put the heavy wire on that straight part in the top....just needs a little wiggle.
20211017_053450.jpg20211017_053509.jpg20211017_054302.jpg20211017_054316.jpg20211017_054334.jpg20211017_054350.jpg

Top Bottom