GRO-LOW SUMAC [Rhus aromatica]

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is a sumac and as its name implies, it's a low growing shrub that spreads wide. I bought this plant at a garden center which was erroneously labeled as a dogwood. Later to find it was actually a sumac. It bears no resemblance to the sumac everyone thinks of with its compound leaves. The leaves of the Gro-Low variety are trifoliate. But true to the Rhus family, this sumac is a dependable autumn performer producing brilliant ruby-red leaves in the fall.

This tree has been developing as a bonsai for about 5 years in a pot. In my experience it is slow in developing, both in terms of ramification and trunk thickening. I have a few more in a grow-out bed and rather slow there as well. Very winter hardy, no pest issues to speak of and easy care.

Last spring it was repotted into a beautiful Bunzan container which I think pairs up really well with the character of the tree.

IMG_7132.jpg

IMG_7094.jpg

IMG_7091.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
This is a sumac and as its name implies, it's a low growing shrub that spreads wide. I bought this plant at a garden center which was erroneously labeled as a dogwood. Later to find it was actually a sumac. It bears no resemblance to the sumac everyone thinks of with its compound leaves. The leaves of the Gro-Low variety are trifoliate. But true to the Rhus family, this sumac is a dependable autumn performer producing brilliant ruby-red leaves in the fall.

This tree has been developing as a bonsai for about 5 years in a pot. In my experience it is slow in developing, both in terms of ramification and trunk thickening. I have a few more in a grow-out bed and rather slow there as well. Very winter hardy, no pest issues to speak of and easy care.

Last spring it was repotted into a beautiful Bunzan container which I think pairs up really well with the character of the tree.

View attachment 338767

View attachment 338770

View attachment 338771
So elegant and that pot... 🥰

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How are you growing yours? I picked up one from the local nursery for the 5yr native tree challenge. They are everywhere in the woods here though you never notice them til early fall.

When growing as underbrush on wooded hills here they commonly top out at 2 feet and are single trunk with few branches and straw thin. When on the edge of a glade or, more commonly, along the drainage ditches at the edge of the forest along the back roads where they get full sun at times and probably more water, they grow into large thickets. There are some thickets nearby with 6-8' trees that are 30' wide. Many of the trunks lay on the ground. Even in these thickets, trunks are generally less than 2" caliper...but there can be a lot of them!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
awesome. Here in NM there is an abundance of Rhus Trilobata or 3 leaf sumac that looks much the same and it sounds like it grows much the same. Quite slow. Ive got some property I purchased this summer in the mountains over Abq, that has got a number of wild sumac specimen that I have been scouting for collection come spring. ill let you know what i find in terms of collected material.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
How are you growing yours? I picked up one from the local nursery for the 5yr native tree challenge. They are everywhere in the woods here though you never notice them til early fall.

When growing as underbrush on wooded hills here they commonly top out at 2 feet and are single trunk with few branches and straw thin. When on the edge of a glade or, more commonly, along the drainage ditches at the edge of the forest along the back roads where they get full sun at times and probably more water, they grow into large thickets. There are some thickets nearby with 6-8' trees that are 30' wide. Many of the trunks lay on the ground. Even in these thickets, trunks are generally less than 2" caliper...but there can be a lot of them!

I have it under semi direct sunlight only because it is in a small pot. Otherwise I think it would be just fine in full sunlight. However, I do have a few others in my grow-out area under much more shade. They do fine as well and their leaves are deeper green than when exposed to more direct sunlight. I imagine that those large thickets you mentioned make for quite a show in the fall! They do thicken up quite slowly and even more so as bonsai. Still their autumn color is fantastic without fail.

I have never seen them here either at a nursery or in the wild. The nursery where I bought them from never had them again.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
awesome. Here in NM there is an abundance of Rhus Trilobata or 3 leaf sumac that looks much the same and it sounds like it grows much the same. Quite slow. Ive got some property I purchased this summer in the mountains over Abq, that has got a number of wild sumac specimen that I have been scouting for collection come spring. ill let you know what i find in terms of collected material.

Thanks Danny! Congrats on your new property. I'd definitely be interested in your findings!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Danny! Congrats on your new property. I'd definitely be interested in your findings!
And I will be following this page eagerly as well. I’ve always thought the small leaves sumacs would make great trees but never took the plunge. Good luck with this one and the others your growing.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very cool, and good use of a harder to use pot! Your zelkova is spectacular too, and what is that yummy gnarly thing to the right???

That's a Virginia creeper. Don't care much for it during the growing season but love it in autumn and winter. The zelkova went into a deeper pot this year to get it a bit stronger. Hopefully back into a more appropriately sized container next year.

Top Bottom