GRO-LOW SUMAC [Rhus aromatica]

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
How long did you get to enjoy the color on this? Asking because I love the color of sumac in the fall and was going to collect a couple to do a small clump planting. I did notice this year that the sumac around me seemed to only get about a week of color before they became very drab. This variety is pretty appealing too as it can be somewhat formed into a tree-like shape.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
This is a sumac and as its name implies, it's a low growing shrub that spreads wide. I bought this plant at a garden center which was erroneously labeled as a dogwood. Later to find it was actually a sumac. It bears no resemblance to the sumac everyone thinks of with its compound leaves. The leaves of the Gro-Low variety are trifoliate. But true to the Rhus family, this sumac is a dependable autumn performer producing brilliant ruby-red leaves in the fall.

This tree has been developing as a bonsai for about 5 years in a pot. In my experience it is slow in developing, both in terms of ramification and trunk thickening. I have a few more in a grow-out bed and rather slow there as well. Very winter hardy, no pest issues to speak of and easy care.

Last spring it was repotted into a beautiful Bunzan container which I think pairs up really well with the character of the tree.

View attachment 338767

View attachment 338770

View attachment 338771
Beautifully composed photograph.

I wouldn't have been able to help myself and I'd have shot just the one leaf hanging on bare branches in black and white. Not as a bonsai photo but for the bare beauty of it.

I read through the thread and agree with everyone and especially what Judy said. Your work consistently looks like it should be on a book or magazine cover.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
How long did you get to enjoy the color on this? Asking because I love the color of sumac in the fall and was going to collect a couple to do a small clump planting. I did notice this year that the sumac around me seemed to only get about a week of color before they became very drab. This variety is pretty appealing too as it can be somewhat formed into a tree-like shape.

It lasted quite a bit for me. I'd say at least about three weeks. Then leaves started to fall. Nice cultivar to work with for bonsai. Unlike other sumacs, it is not poisonous either. They all do have spectacular color specially when given enough sun.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Beautifully composed photograph.

I wouldn't have been able to help myself and I'd have shot just the one leaf hanging on bare branches in black and white. Not as a bonsai photo but for the bare beauty of it.

I read through the thread and agree with everyone and especially what Judy said. Your work consistently looks like it should be on a book or magazine cover.

Thanks Katie! 🙏

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hi!

@MACH5 Impressive work and beautiful composition.
We don't know each other but I will use this post as an opportunity to tell you that I really appreciate your work, its inspiring, you are a very talented artist Bravo!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi!

@MACH5 Impressive work and beautiful composition.
We don't know each other but I will use this post as an opportunity to tell you that I really appreciate your work, its inspiring, you are a very talented artist Bravo!

Hey thanks Ugo! 🙏

Reactions: Ugo

ochong

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just purchased a discount one from a local nursery this morning and went searching to see what examples exist.

Beautiful tree you have there, Sergio. Great reference of a nice slender design.

How’s it looking this year, @MACH5?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I just purchased a discount one from a local nursery this morning and went searching to see what examples exist.

Beautiful tree you have there, Sergio. Great reference of a nice slender design.

Thank you! The tree continues to do well as a bonsai. I sort of treat it as a large accent plant more than a bonsai in the more traditional sense. They are easy and not fussy at all in my experience. Autumn colors are fantastic. Have fun with yours!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Not to undermine the specimen at all, but that pot is beautiful and I don't believe I've ever seen a Bunzan in a non-rounded form before 🧐. Its very refreshing to see individuals practicing at a high level developing bonsai as well!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Incredible. I must say I think I love your aesthetic more than any other artist I know, it really speaks to me. Your works are always really elegant, dare I say it - simple looking- but absolutely beautiful and not a branch out of place.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Very nice Sergio! I saw some of these at the local nursery last spring. No idea why I didn't buy 1 or 5. Will next year.

Pot is crazy wonderful by the way. :)

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

Can u show us a picture of yours Pls?

Top Bottom