GRO-LOW SUMAC [Rhus aromatica]

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@MACH5
Beautiful, an exquisite pairing of pot and tree. I've been interested in Rhus aromatica for a few years. I looked into 'Gro-Low' and dismissed it, because it is more dwarf than the wild type, and because it tends to be a male plant, it will never produce the attractive berries. Rhus aromatica is monecious, meaning male and female flowers are on separate inflorescences. They are also "self sterile". The cultivar 'Gro-Low' is unusual, has only male flowers, which is considered a plus in the landscape industry, less worry about it spreading. So most nurseries only carry the single cultivar 'Grow-Low' which means less risk of customers complaining about it spreading, as it is self sterile, and usually only male flowers.

I want the taller version of the species and I like the look with berries, so I started some from seed. These photos are from August, already in their 3rd summer. They indeed are slow growing. I only ended up with 3 seedlings, I should start another batch from seed, just to make sure I get one or two that flower with more female flowers. They are supposed to be monecious, meaning both types of flowers, but some definitely are dioecious, with only one sex.

I do like what you have done with yours. I missed getting an autumn photo this year.

IMG_20200824_133442869.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@MACH5
Beautiful, an exquisite pairing of pot and tree. I've been interested in Rhus aromatica for a few years. I looked into 'Gro-Low' and dismissed it, because it is more dwarf than the wild type, and because it tends to be a male plant, it will never produce the attractive berries. Rhus aromatica is monecious, meaning male and female flowers are on separate inflorescences. They are also "self sterile". The cultivar 'Gro-Low' is unusual, has only male flowers, which is considered a plus in the landscape industry, less worry about it spreading. So most nurseries only carry the single cultivar 'Grow-Low' which means less risk of customers complaining about it spreading, as it is self sterile, and usually only male flowers.

I want the taller version of the species and I like the look with berries, so I started some from seed. These photos are from August, already in their 3rd summer. They indeed are slow growing. I only ended up with 3 seedlings, I should start another batch from seed, just to make sure I get one or two that flower with more female flowers. They are supposed to be monecious, meaning both types of flowers, but some definitely are dioecious, with only one sex.

I do like what you have done with yours. I missed getting an autumn photo this year.

View attachment 339112

Thank you Leo as always for your super informative posts! I always learn something 🙏

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This really is a Korean style tree. I know some people are going to stick up their nose and say it is unrefined but I beg to differ. The ratio and the movement along with the simplicity speak of a reserved and quiet elegance. The twin trunks have complimentary movement so the entire feeling is natural, calm and unforced. A really pleasant little tree to look at. Thanks for sharing.

PS: May I remind you there is no word for "pre-bonsai" in Korean, any of the languages of China, nor Japanese. There is merely bonsai. Some at the start of their journey and some ancient trees of splendor with many in between. I'd say this one is well along in the movement department.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This year, I was able to capture this tree near peak. Always a very reliable performer in autumn. Leaves are quite hardy and take full sun without any worries of being scorched. Slowly developing due to the small confined space in which it grows. I am not aiming for a big heavy trunk, but rather a more delicate, "free form" bonsai. Flower buds are now set on its branch tips to bloom next spring before leaves emerge.

IMG_9289.jpg

IMG_9291.jpg

IMG_9295.jpg

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This year, I was able to capture this tree near peak. Always a very reliable performer in autumn. Leaves are quite hardy and take full sun without any worries of being scorched. Slowly developing due to the small confined space in which it grows. I am not aiming for a big heavy trunk, but rather a more delicate, "free form" bonsai. Flower buds are now set on its branch tips to bloom next spring before leaves emerge.

View attachment 401733

View attachment 401735

View attachment 401737
Oh hell yee ….. added to list of native species ☑️

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Beautiful.

I assume that's a Bunzan pot? Looks to be the same style as my pink one.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am so glad this was re-posted. I bought 3 of these in 4 inch pots (now 6 inch) back in the spring and I have been looking at them for months thinking, what the hell are these. Shoulda tagged em ..... memories not what it used to be. 🤣

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I am so glad this was re-posted. I bought 3 of these in 4 inch pots (now 6 inch) back in the spring and I have been looking at them for months thinking, what the hell are these. Shoulda tagged em ..... memories not what it used to be. 🤣

I think you'll enjoy them. I see mine more as a large accent than a "bonsai". Super easy care, can tolerate dry soil and pest free for the most part.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you'll enjoy them. I see mine more as a large accent than a "bonsai". Super easy care, can tolerate dry soil and pest free for the most part.
That's all good stuff.
My view of the plants use overall is the same. One I will put in a pot come spring and the other two will go in a grow out bed.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@MACH5

View attachment 339112
Interesting. I always wanted to do something with African sumac (Rhus lancea), which also has the very distinctive and weird-looking trifoliate leaf arrangement, but resembling a willow. So it has a very graceful and delicate appearance. But I now see that all Rhus species native to South Africa have been reclassified into a new genus, Searsia, based on DNA testing. https://www.researchgate.net/public...Rhus_and_recognition_of_Searsia_Anacardiaceae

unnamed.jpg

And sorry to hijack the thread with obscure nerdy stuff. I can't help myself.

BEAUTIFUL TREE, Sergio!

Top Bottom