GroBetter Fertilizer

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
At the GSBF convention today, I was pleasantly surprised to see members of the Jong family there to promote their line of organic fertilizer. I say surprised because I have been using their fertilizer for a year now and am a convert - my trees have shown tremendous improvement. I did not know they were supporters/proponents of bonsai; I originally bought their product at a specialty garden center. It is a family owned and operated business - apparently the production line to make this stuff required over a seven-digit capital investment.

For those not in the know, poultry manure is considered one of the best organic fertilizers, and composted chicken manure is the best of the best - it doesn't smell (as much), doesn't attract flies, and provides great time-release organic benefits without the downside risk of root burn. If I sound like a commercial, it is because I am hooked on this stuff - they were having a sale at the show and I bought six 16 lb. bags :)

Check them out at GroBetter.com
. They sell direct, or you can buy retail if you live in Southern Cal. I have never seen such moss growth on the top of my bonsai soil as when I started using this stuff.

growbetter.jpg

Reaction score
I agree, I've been using Jongs for a few years and the trees really like it, I've never burned a bonsai, squirrels don't bother it, and it's cheaper than the imported organics. I would recommend it to anyone who's looking for a safe fertilizer.

Juniperus Californica

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
So what is the NPK ratio?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wonder if anyone will ask about this....

I did.... and they want me to send them my article.

It's not the fertilizer is so good.....it's the addition of the secret ingredient.

Attachments

• grobetterblue.jpg
    grobetterblue.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The NPK seems to be a bit on the weak side and personally I'm not thrilled about a granulated fertilizer in a free draining soil. Tried a granulated "bonsai" fert and locked up my pot tighter than grout in a drain. If this were used in a garden grow bed (as the bag image indicates) I think it would be great.

Al I picked up on the "secret ingredient". Big difference between how you use it and whats in this bag. Once again ( tea vs. granular ) how this product effects a free draining soil needs to be evaluated.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The NPK seems to be a bit on the weak side and personally I'm not thrilled about a granulated fertilizer in a free draining soil. Tried a granulated "bonsai" fert and locked up my pot tighter than grout in a drain. If this were used in a garden grow bed (as the bag image indicates) I think it would be great.

Al I picked up on the "secret ingredient". Big difference between how you use it and whats in this bag. Once again ( tea vs. granular ) how this product effects a free draining soil needs to be evaluated.
It is a common problem when one uses organic fertilizer especially with chicken manure. I'm using granulated chicken manure and occasionally had to disturb the soil surface to get better drainage. However, in my opinion, it's OK as long as it gives the trees good nutrition. Bonhe

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Different fertilizers work for different species, I'm guessing this one is for D trees. The right fertilizer and the right time to apply are critical with pines.

keep it green,
Harry

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It is a common problem when one uses organic fertilizer especially with chicken manure. I'm using granulated chicken manure and occasionally had to disturb the soil surface to get better drainage. However, in my opinion, it's OK as long as it gives the trees good nutrition. Bonhe

Also makes a BIG difference if you are using pelletized and composted manure, versus dried. The cheap organic poultry manures will all be dried (like what you find in Home Depot). Dried manure stinks and attracts flies (and other critters like rats) and breaks into the soil with the first watering.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Al, where can I find the info you have put together on using Humic acid?

I like the idea of Humic Acid, but there are to many unknows, how much, how often, which soil does it work best with, will it work with all species, has anyone tried it on pines or junipers, what were the long term results, has anyone tried an experment using it on two trees to see if one grew better than the other. I actually used Superthrive on a dying pine one winter and it survived, would it have survived anyway, I don't know, but I would't recommend it on my one experience. Show me the money !

keep it green,
Harry

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the idea of Humic Acid, but there are to many unknows, how much, how often, which soil does it work best with, will it work with all species, has anyone tried it on pines or junipers, what were the long term results, has anyone tried an experment using it on two trees to see if one grew better than the other.

keep it green,
Harry
Hi Harry, I have been trying the granuled humic acid on one batch of black pine (10 of them) for 8 months already. It is a trial which has a control batch of other black pines. So far I didn't see any difference yet. Bonhe

sierrajuniper

Sapling
Reaction score
At the GSBF convention today, I was pleasantly surprised to see members of the Jong family there to promote their line of organic fertilizer. I say surprised because I have been using their fertilizer for a year now and am a convert - my trees have shown tremendous improvement. I did not know they were supporters/proponents of bonsai; I originally bought their product at a specialty garden center. It is a family owned and operated business - apparently the production line to make this stuff required over a seven-digit capital investment.

For those not in the know, poultry manure is considered one of the best organic fertilizers, and composted chicken manure is the best of the best - it doesn't smell (as much), doesn't attract flies, and provides great time-release organic benefits without the downside risk of root burn. If I sound like a commercial, it is because I am hooked on this stuff - they were having a sale at the show and I bought six 16 lb. bags :)
Check them out at GroBetter.com. They sell direct, or you can buy retail if you live in Southern Cal. I have never seen such moss growth on the top of my bonsai soil as when I started using this stuff.

growbetter.jpg
Hi Bonsai Nut,

Do you still use Growbetter? Do you put them in tea bags or apply them directly on top of the soil? My trees are not doing good and I'm thinking about using Growbetter. Thanks

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Do you still use Growbetter? Do you put them in tea bags or apply them directly on top of the soil? My trees are not doing good and I'm thinking about using Growbetter.

About a year and a half ago I was talking to some folks at the Viet Bonsai Today show about some of the problems I had been having with my trees, and they highly recommended that I lower the pH of my soil. I started checking my water pH (8.0 out of the tap), and realizing that my soil was quite alkaline, while many of my trees were acid-lovers, I shifted the majority of my fertilizing over to Super Iron 9-9-9. My trees showed an almost overnight dramatic improvement.

simplot_super_iron_fertlizer_1.jpg

Additionally, @Si Nguyen had some trouble with GroBetter and tree fungus; he strongly feels that it may have contributed/caused some tree deaths. Perhaps he will elaborate his experience here...

I used the last of my supply of GroBetter in my landscape, and have stopped using it in bonsai. In my case I never had a bad experience with it, rather I found a different product that worked better for my growing conditions.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This product is now named GrowBetter, a slight name change. The website now is https://www.jongs.com/products.html
They also suggest it can be used to brew “compost tea” which might overcome the problem with applying the dry product to the soil surface. I have found that applying dry particulate fertilizer creates a crust that sheds water which is one reason I switched to using liquid MiracleGro.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This product is now named GrowBetter, a slight name change. The website now is https://www.jongs.com/products.html
They also suggest it can be used to brew “compost tea” which might overcome the problem with applying the dry product to the soil surface. I have found that applying dry particulate fertilizer creates a crust that sheds water which is one reason I switched to using liquid MiracleGro.
I also use MirAcid a couple times each year to counter any issues with alkalinity. My water runs about pH 7.5 with an alkalinity of about 24.7 mg/L so really isn’t a great concern like in groundwater based systems with limestone bedrock. Mine is mostly modified rainwater from watersheds in the mountains around here.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
[QUOTE=" and they highly recommended that I lower the pH of my soil. I started checking my water pH (8.0 out of the tap), and realizing that my soil was quite alkaline, while many of my trees were acid-lovers, I shifted the majority of my fertilizing over to Super Iron 9-9-9. My trees showed an almost .[/QUOTE]
For some reason, my tap water pH has been 7 for a while now . May be my water district changed the water source?!
Thụ Thoại

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
[QUOTE=" and they highly recommended that I lower the pH of my soil. I started checking my water pH (8.0 out of the tap), and realizing that my soil was quite alkaline, while many of my trees were acid-lovers, I shifted the majority of my fertilizing over to Super Iron 9-9-9. My trees showed an almost .
For some reason, my tap water pH has been 7 for a while now . May be my water district changed the water source?!
Thụ Thoại[/QUOTE]
Check with your water supplier, they may be mixing water or they maybe treating it. They should have information on their website about the average chemisry of the water supply.

sierrajuniper

Sapling
Reaction score
About a year and a half ago I was talking to some folks at the Viet Bonsai Today show about some of the problems I had been having with my trees, and they highly recommended that I lower the pH of my soil. I started checking my water pH (8.0 out of the tap), and realizing that my soil was quite alkaline, while many of my trees were acid-lovers, I shifted the majority of my fertilizing over to Super Iron 9-9-9. My trees showed an almost overnight dramatic improvement.

View attachment 219631

Additionally, @Si Nguyen had some trouble with GroBetter and tree fungus; he strongly feels that it may have contributed/caused some tree deaths. Perhaps he will elaborate his experience here...

I used the last of my supply of GroBetter in my landscape, and have stopped using it in bonsai. In my case I never had a bad experience with it, rather I found a different product that worked better for my growing conditions.
My tap water is the same and it's about 500 ppm. I switched to rain water for the last three years but there is no improvement for my california junipers. I use different fertilizers but it's the same. I'm curious about the fertilizer that Hank Fawcett from Southern California uses for his California Junipers. His Cali Junipers are super healthy.
https://www.facebook.com/maurostemberger
Thanks.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My tap water is the same and it's about 500 ppm. I switched to rain water for the last three years but there is no improvement for my california junipers. I use different fertilizers but it's the same. I'm curious about the fertilizer that Hank Fawcett from Southern California uses for his California Junipers. His Cali Junipers are super healthy.
https://www.facebook.com/maurostemberger
Thanks.
Did you try this Woodace ?https://www.lebanonturf.com/products/items/2256323/index.aspx
I have been using it combined with organic fertilizer for few years with good result. My California junipers have been growing like the weeds !
Thụ Thoại

Top Bottom