Ground Fabric

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Any preference for weed blocker or fabric to put below pots? I have mine on the yard but got tired of moving them to cut lawn as it grew around them. Nursery usually have something like this.

Just wondering if y'all had a favorite?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I put my pots on benches and the benches are on top of patio stones so I dont have to mow around them.

Its not a good idea to have pots directly on the ground because the drainage of the pot is reduced and you can get soil nematodes up into the pot which can destroy roots

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
Weevils seem to find them more easily too on the ground (in the UK at least)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Fabric weed barrier is a huge PITA if you ever want to do any landscaping later. Our first yard was full of it and it took twice as long to get the area under control after the previous owner neglected it. I have had good luck using newspaper as a weed barrier under mulch or gravel. It works as long as you’re not digging in the area and turning up soil exposing seeds to air and sunlight.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Fabric weed barrier is a huge PITA if you ever want to do any landscaping later.
Agree. The church across the street from me, and also upwind from me, ripped out their old landscaping in 2019. I will be picking tatters of old landscaping fabric from my juniper border for the rest of my time in this house.

Warlock

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm not trying to cover it up the fabric with any materials. Just want to place over the grass and put my pots on top.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I use landscape cloth under pots, primarily to keep the bermuda grass from growing up into the pots. It does make mowing around them easier.
It can slow drainage, I have not noticed that being a problem in the past. Most of my pots are now sitting on a layer of hardwood chips.

Top Bottom