Ground Growing prep

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm planning on planting a load of JBP and JRP and was wondering if anyone had any preparation tips for the growing bed ?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lotta folks use dust free fines and old bonsai soil.

I'd put it somewhere you can maintain it over winter...out of wind, or blockable, out of heavy waterfalls from roofs, or roofable.

Nice!

Sorce

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As Sorce said, bonsai substrate fines. They will help keep the soil open.

Compost, as many types as you can get your hands on: manure, mushroom, leaf. The variety of compost ensures that there are a wide variety of both macro and micro elements.

Mix thoroughly to a minimum depth of 6". Or use these items as soil in a raised bed.

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I have moved into the new house now and now that I have removed all of the old trees and shubs that where growing wild in there I am now ready to prep the grow bed for my JBP's. The soil is heavy clay, you can only put a fork in it when its wet and it sticks to your shoes when you walk on it, there are loads of worms in it (i'm guessing that's a good thing). When its dry is rock hard! here are a few picks:

IMG_7053.JPG IMG_7054.JPG IMG_7055.JPG

The sun comes up over that big tree on the right and over my right shoulder and sets behind me.

I am planning on adding almost 2 tonnes of horticultural grit to try and break up this soil and peat, I've also bought a Mantis tiller to help break up the soil and add the grit/peat.

Some samples of the JBP's I'm planting out are below they have been in these pond baskets for a few years now:

IMG_7063.JPG IMG_7064.JPG IMG_7065.JPG IMG_7066.JPG

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1. Is there anything else you would do to the soil?

2. Would you take these out of the pond baskets and plant them directly into the improved soil? or would you keep them in the pond baskets, half bury them and maybe make some wholes bigger in the bottom or in the sides of the baskets for the roots to escape?

IMG_7067.JPG

This is what the garden looked like before any work:

IMG_7072.JPG IMG_7071.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
If it is really heavy clay I would advise a raised bed, how ever much compost etc you add you could just be building a trough that will fill with water under your compost say 6 inches down. Rotorvators also tend to leave a smeared layer of clay at the depth the tines run at. plenty of grit/and sand will help and place a tile under each plant to force the rooys horizontal , this will save a huge amount of work and set back when you dig them up.
Good luck, sort the roots now when it is easy

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I were to build a raised bed, how high would you build it?

I was planning on rotovate to the max depth of the tines then move the loose soil to the side and rotovate again to get as deep as possible then start added adding grit and compost, you think that would work?

Reaction score
Oh yes that would be OK, hope you realise just how heavy wet clay is, still you will be really fit by the time your growing bed is finished. Good luck

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So this is what i've done so far, I dug a trench in the clay soil as deep at the garden fork would go and moved it to one side, then added grit and compost and turned it in with the cultivator. I then put the clay soil back on top and added more grit and compost and used the cultivator again. this is the result:

One ton bulk bag of grit and one of compost later and still another half to go... its been had work:

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Today however I had to dig up a load of trident and Japanese maples from my old grow bed so I think I'll just put these in this year and see how it drains before I try the JBP:
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Reaction score
looking good with all that added grit and compost it must be slightly raised now anyway so should be great for your trees the compost will get those tridents fattening fast.Congratulations on a job well done

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
looking good with all that added grit and compost it must be slightly raised now anyway so should be great for your trees the compost will get those tridents fattening fast.Congratulations on a job well done
Thanks mate, yeah the soil mound is higher than the grass level now and I've left a trench between the grass and the mound and it seems to drain very well so far. I've planted nine maples in there so far, I'll take another pic once I've finished planing them out.

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So here they all are screwed to boards, roots arranged and starting to leaf out although the TM's are a bit slower than the JM's.

IMG_7440.JPG

The TM's roots were not as good and I had to cut them back harder so they are allot slower to leaf out. The JM's are all air layers and their root structures were far superior than the TM's.

I also planted 2 JBP in there as a test to see how they would go, they are also on boards.

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So here they are during and at the end of the second growing season. I lost one of the TM sadly as I don't think it had enough feeder roots to survive the move.

The TM grew taller than the JM, Pictures 5th June 18:
IMG_9214.JPGIMG_9215.JPGIMG_9213.JPG

28th October 18:
IMG_0423.jpg

November:
e4f937ea-e595-4a64-ad2a-10145f41777e.JPG
IMG_11201.jpg

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now the question is would you guys leave these for another season or pull them up and re-arrange roots? I still want build thicker trunks and don't really want to cut back the top growth they have on them now which is fell over 10 feet tall in some cases. If I where to pull them up the wooden board could help anchor them back into the ground i guess?

Top Bottom