Ground grown chinese elm

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have a chinese elm that's screwed to a piece of plywood and I was wondering if I could lift the tree and trim the roots every year? Or would it be best to give it 2 years?

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since it's a Chinese elm you can do it every year without risk. If you feel that the tree is sulking then give it a break but I doubt it will skip a beat

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a chinese elm that's screwed to a piece of plywood and I was wondering if I could lift the tree and trim the roots every year? Or would it be best to give it 2 years?

Dork, objective answers to subjective questions are tough ;-) You --can-- trim the roots yearly. --BUT-- do you need to. Generally, if you trim roots the shoots won't be vigorous and vice versa. Prioritize shoots or roots and alternate the pruning to maximize one or the other.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Chinese elm generally only grow a few thick roots from the trunk. Pruning those will usually stimulate more roots to give far better nebari. I don't trim roots of elms every year but a check after year 1 is definitely worth while.

Top Bottom