Ground layering a Chinese elm

Jcreed

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everyone this is my first post on here!
I repotted my Chinese elm last spring and I had vigourous growth throughout the summer! I was wondering if it’s safe to do a ground layer this year I hate the base of the tree. what’s everyone thoughts?? The photo of the base was taken about 2 years ago

Attachments

• 9467850E-22C6-489E-95F7-B2DF8042CF54.jpeg
    9467850E-22C6-489E-95F7-B2DF8042CF54.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 69

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The nebari does need help. If you haven’t done an air layer before you may want to practice. Maybe on the upper portion first and see how well you do. And how well the tree reacts. If you do one at the base and it doesn’t take then it would be sad. The healthier the tree the better.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am not going to be much help because I am in the middle of the procedure on a CE myself. I just girdled mine and slip-potted it into a deeper container, about 1.5 years ago. Time will tell, but poking around in the soil I think I found some roots. I am not in a hurry, though, and may leave it for yet another season as I just got done hard-pruning it.

As for yours, I think you actually have a pretty good start on a root base. Rather than doing a hard reboot on the roots, you might consider focusing instead on working on the roots you have. Shave and/or split some of those roots, plant it deep and they could start heading in the right direction.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ground layering is completely reasonable for this chinese elm. If you're unfamiliar with the process, check here:

or search the site for MANY posts on it. Most people start the process in late spring/early summer.

Jcreed

Seedling
Reaction score
The nebari does need help. If you haven’t done an air layer before you may want to practice. Maybe on the upper portion first and see how well you do. And how well the tree reacts. If you do one at the base and it doesn’t take then it would be sad. The healthier the tree the better.if y
The nebari does need help. If you haven’t done an air layer before you may want to practice. Maybe on the upper portion first and see how well you do. And how well the tree reacts. If you do one at the base and it doesn’t take then it would be sad. The healthier the tree the better.
If we can call it a nebari haha.I air layered a hornbeam tree last year 4 out of 5 branches made it so I’m confident in air layering, just not ground layering, yes it would be sad to lose it that would be nealry 4 years down the drain !

Jcreed

Seedling
Reaction score
I am not going to be much help because I am in the middle of the procedure on a CE myself. I just girdled mine and slip-potted it into a deeper container, about 1.5 years ago. Time will tell, but poking around in the soil I think I found some roots. I am not in a hurry, though, and may leave it for yet another season as I just got done hard-pruning it.

As for yours, I think you actually have a pretty good start on a root base. Rather than doing a hard reboot on the roots, you might consider focusing instead on working on the roots you have. Shave and/or split some of those roots, plant it deep and they could start heading in the right direction.
When I repotted mine I didn’t hard prune the roots because iv wanted to ground layer the elm for a while ! Iv try planting deep and nothing happened and I hate the look of the nebari with a passion haha

Jcreed

Seedling
Reaction score
Absolutely. Just go ahead in spring once the first flush has expanded.
Around the same time as an air layer? And would you recommend pruning the tree back when ground layering

Jcreed

Seedling
Reaction score
Ground layering is completely reasonable for this chinese elm. If you're unfamiliar with the process, check here:

or search the site for MANY posts on it. Most people start the process in late spring/early summer.
Thank you I’ll check this out !!

Reaction score
Portland, Oregon, United States of America
USDA Zone
9b
It would be good to see the rest of the tree and or more current photo. I don’t think the roots look bad enough to start over. There is already flare started. If it were mine I would just cut those thick roots back really hard. Maybe like a half/ass groundlayer. remove bark from where you want roots to grow, then pack some strips of toilet paper dipped in rooting hormone around the wounds. Build a ring with drainage mesh to raise the soil level, backfill. If you’re out of toilet paper you could use sphagnum moss. 😉
watch some japanese youtube of repotting elms. U would be amazed how little root they leave.

Jcreed

Seedling
Reaction score

Good luck with your CE !

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Around the same time as an air layer? And would you recommend pruning the tree back when ground layering

Ground layer is just an air layer done at soil level. Do NOT prune back. You want all the foliage you can get to drive the formation of new roots in your layer.

Jcreed

Seedling
Reaction score
Ground layer is just an air layer done at soil level. Do NOT prune back. You want all the foliage you can get to drive the formation of new roots in your layer.
Ok thank you for you help I appreciate it !

Jcreed

Seedling
Reaction score
It would be good to see the rest of the tree and or more current photo. I don’t think the roots look bad enough to start over. There is already flare started. If it were mine I would just cut those thick roots back really hard. Maybe like a half/ass groundlayer. remove bark from where you want roots to grow, then pack some strips of toilet paper dipped in rooting hormone around the wounds. Build a ring with drainage mesh to raise the soil level, backfill. If you’re out of toilet paper you could use sphagnum moss. 😉
watch some japanese youtube of repotting elms. U would be amazed how little root they leave.
I was thinking about removing the bark from where I want/ need roots cos it would be a shame to lose some of the thick roots iv never try doing it so I’m nervous haha iv seen some videos of the Japanese repotting and leaving hardly any roots myself ! Haha iv got sphagnum moss never heard of toilet paper being used is that a good method? Lol. The tree is a working progress so do judge haha only photos I can find on this phone

Jcreed

Seedling
Reaction score
I was thinking about removing the bark from where I want/ need roots cos it would be a shame to lose some of the thick roots iv never try doing it so I’m nervous haha iv seen some videos of the Japanese repotting and leaving hardly any roots myself ! Haha iv got sphagnum moss never heard of toilet paper being used is that a good method? Lol. The tree is a working progress so do judge haha only photos I can find on this phone

Jcreed

Seedling
Reaction score

Jcreed

Seedling
Reaction score

Attachments

• 5C767202-4CE4-4FEB-804B-4ED14D37E966.png
    5C767202-4CE4-4FEB-804B-4ED14D37E966.png
    399.5 KB · Views: 40

Jcreed

Seedling
Reaction score
2022 few weeks after repot

Top Bottom