Ground layering maple, when is best?

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
If a JM needs ground layered to improve nebari, should it be done when the tree is just a young cutting or wait until thickened?

I have a bloodgood thats been in the ground a couple years, need to dig it and see how the roots are this spring.

I'm hoping they didn't go to shit in two years. Just want to do my best to properly develop roots from a young age.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have a young tree that you are growing out, I would not bother air layering. Just ensure you work the rootball properly during the growing out phase and you should get a decent nebari.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
i normally do my ground layers when I have the tree out of the ground for repotting. Both can be done at the same time.
Anytime through spring to early summer should be OK as long as you can get at the site with the tree still in the pot. Much easier when you have the roots bare.
You can layer any time in the life cycle but younger material usually respond faster and better.
I also find that good root pruning can produce good nebari so it is not always necessary to layer. A lot will depend what you find when you dig.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you are planning to grow the plant out in the ground, there is no use layering beforehand. In the ground, root growth is stronger and unpredictable, and you don't want to disturb the roots for 3+ years at a time. This will negate most of the benefit of layering. But if you plan to grow the plant out in pots, I would definitely recommend layering now, as root growth will be more controlled.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amen Stan!

It totally depends on the future plans, how developed it is, will be, etc...

For me, the fastest fastest if all things are correct and optimal.
Ground growing to the point of only needing to grow branches.
Start the layer one season before only needing to grow branches.
Using that top health to get a good radial nebari start.
Then remove so your next nebari segments are grown slow with your branches.

Resorce.

Sorce

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Thanks everyone. This is a just a two year old cutting, still small so it has more years in the ground.
I'll just work the roots for now.

Top Bottom