Groundlayer trapped

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I started various groundlayers on JMs but the original soil remains too wet and I think this already killed my corallinum. How do I remove water from the bottom of the pots? Slice open and let a towel draw it out? Tall, cheap plastic pots (buckets)

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
A glowing hot nail is a good hole maker for plastic pots.
Yep. If it were me I would put so many holes in to make it like a basket and not only drain but let air in to dry as well.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aight Ill just put lotsa holes in it

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Emergency repotting helps. So many will not even consider repot at 'wrong' time of year while the tree dies from poor soil.
At least with emergency repot the tree has some chance.

Holes in the pot may help but that's not the solution.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ive taken apart the corallinum, and part of the issue might have been that the original soil was wood chips, which were already a bit soft before I started the layer and by now turned into sludge.
The others have bark/perlite mix so I might get away with it

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Emergency repotting helps. So many will not even consider repot at 'wrong' time of year while the tree dies from poor soil.
At least with emergency repot the tree has some chance.

Holes in the pot may help but that's not the solution.
For me all options are on the tables. It is a matter of risk management. I will decide based on what I see in the soil.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I would start with better water management. Reducing water in will obviously reduce waterlogging.
If that's not possible or practical modifying the container may help. More holes, different shape, off the ground (if it's not already) can all help excess water escape.
Last step, if all others fail is emergency repot. Most plants can cope with out of season repot if you remove few roots.
As you say, it's all about risk and reward. Possible death V almost certain death.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cutting lots of holes has worked.
The Beni Tsukasa and Beni Chidori have rooted well, Already separated the former. Letting the latter flush out first.
Seigen and Deshojo, only callus and what looks like root stubs but just ends up multiplying into callus. Might lose these two. I guess I'll leave them as they are until theyre dead.
I've rooted Deshojo once but from a different plant, which I also tried to groundlayer this year and its not going great.

Top Bottom