Grow Box Construction - Material Question

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Josh, the key is drainage. As long as you are using a growing medium that will not clog the holes, any thing goes. However, I have stopped using gro boxes all together and I am just using collanders from the Asian Market. They have sizes to accomodote just about everything and no splinters.
Nothing as large as the Mugo he has just obtained. He needs to use what is called pet screen. It is fiberglass and a plastic coating. Last for ever.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
DArn! I used window screen, it lasted like half a year and now in summer these are all rusted out and leaving holes at the bottom. I can pulverize the mesh with my fingers!
Going to us plastic covered mesh next year.
I don't know what is used for window screen where you live; here, window screen is made of aluminium and does not rust. I use a fiber glass with plastic coating called Pet screen.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nothing as large as the Mugo he has just obtained. He needs to use what is called pet screen. It is fiberglass and a plastic coating. Last for ever.
I have actually seen colanders in the local Korean Market up to about 60cm in diameter. Used for washing cabbage.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If you can get colanders that large go for them/it. Be advised that they are not designed for the purpose we are using them for and are likely to break down and turn to crumbles in a year or two. Avoid the temptation to use one colander inside another, this is a technique that I do not support.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Last year I bought pond baskets from Lowes for a 2 of my smaller bald cypress. One of them became extremely brittle and cracked within a few months. I guess this is mostly due to the extreme SC sun they were sitting in for several months. I wouldn't say they were terrible though and if I remember corectly, they were only 3-4 bucks each. Not bad.

I also used pallet wood that I cut down for boxes. They look terrible this year and wouldnt last more than 2-3 seasons at the most (these were old pallets...no clue how well new ones hold up). My best boxes were built from cypress wood and sealed with poly. They still look brand new and I estimate they will last for quite a while. I think the boards were 2x10 and were around 5 bucks each. I made several boxes and only invested about 10-15 bucks. If you plan to use a sealer/stain/poly just make sure you give them plenty of time to dry before using them.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10 trees x $3.00 colander = $30
$30 x 10 years = $300.00

I got this Polyethylene screen, 28s.f. for $60.
Polyethylene is UV resistant.
Softening point 203 degrees F.
Low temperature brittleness -99 degrees F.

It won't break down........ever.

20150228_105112.jpg
20150325_053457.jpg 20150325_053728.jpg

Sorce

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Not bad sorce. I like that idea...it can also be useful for drainage mesh I would imagine.

What are your plans for the bottoms? Is it really flexible or somewhat rigid?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Though I don't play this,(thwack) , you can see it here.
http://bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/those-pot-materials.18202/

I used concrete, to keep them from falling off the windowsill!
20150301_205442.jpg

They have cheaper stuff for drainage mesh.

This is rigid enough to make the bottom out of. Maybe 2 ply though depending on the size.

You could definitely nail it to a wood frame!

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
But, by doing that you lose the air pruning from the bottom.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You should try an "O" shape at the bottom with a mesh inside the cement.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't figure I'd get much air down there anyhow.

Plus, I don't need feeders on them to be cut off anyway .

I'm leaving nothing down this season too!

If it EVER stops snowing!

Sorce

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm testing out various dimensions and material in grow boxes with "select tight knot" grade Western redcedar and galvanized screws. It looks beautiful and should hold for the life of the screws. Estimated at 6–10 years, depending on use. The natural colors, variations, and features are visible below.

Here are 3.2 gallon versions:
IMG_0014.JPG

Visible top center: 4.3 gallon version; visible lower right: 7.3 gallon versions with metal handles.
IMG_9990.JPG

Douglasfir pending repotting into a 4 gallon grow box:
IMG_9881.JPG

Stacks!
IMG_9790.JPG

I do not yet have photos of the 8.6 gallon version. It includes sturdy metal handles.

I'm contemplating selling some of these wooden grow boxes for about $40-75 each.

Last edited:

wlambeth

Mame
Reaction score
I'm testing out various dimensions and material in grow boxes with "select tight knot" grade Western redcedar and galvanized screws. It looks beautiful and should hold for the life of the screws. Estimated at 6–10 years, depending on use. The natural colors, variations, and features are visible below.

Here are 3.2 gallon versions:
View attachment 124553

Visible top center: 4.3 gallon version; visible lower right: 7.3 gallon versions with metal handles.
View attachment 124555

Douglasfir pending repotting into a 4 gallon grow box:
View attachment 124556

Stacks!
View attachment 124557

I do not yet have photos of the 8.6 gallon version. It includes sturdy metal handles.

I'm contemplating selling some of these wooden grow boxes for about $40-75 each.
I like your bench. It looks like you could use a dozen more. Get to work!

Top Bottom