Grow Box & Nebari Board - Sealants to Avoid?

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was in similar situation, ive painted my boxes and seal everything with sealant, and i have to say, it was waste of the money and time, i wont do it again, i took waay to long to get there and it all went into shit after a year.
so Never again, just wooden planks, doesnt matter for me if that cedar or other wood, just simple planks put together do thwe trick the best!

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Also, if that is your end goal then why not paint epoxy resin on all the areas which will be permanently exposed to moisture and oil or wax the bits you see? They’d last years then.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sometimes if you take into consideration how much time and money you are going to spend to have the wooden pot(yes it will be 1 of the kind) it might work out cheaper and faster to just buy ready made clay pot.....
Something to think about.....

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I was in similar situation, ive painted my boxes and seal everything with sealant, and i have to say, it was waste of the money and time, i wont do it again, i took waay to long to get there and it all went into shit after a year.
so Never again, just wooden planks, doesnt matter for me if that cedar or other wood, just simple planks put together do thwe trick the best!

^^^What did you use to seal it aside from paint? I assume the roots were ok with whatever you used?

Sometimes if you take into consideration how much time and money you are going to spend to have the wooden pot(yes it will be 1 of the kind) it might work out cheaper and faster to just buy ready made clay pot.....
Something to think about.....

Eryk, much like the patience of growing a bonsai, wood work is not a rush, but instead a way to enjoy passing time. Thus, ‘faster’ would defeat the purpose of enjoying the hobby... ceramic may be cheaper, but maybe not. I can practice on wood from my scrap rack and buy project wood when ready. Bonsai pots are often overpriced anyhow, the wood may be cheaper in the end.

Regardless, the time would be enjoyable and I’d get to see the tree I grew/trained in the pot I built. I’d rather try that experience on for size than watch the impeachment inquiry hearings.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Of course, i understand, it gives you a joy but for me where i have limited time i rather buy pots now and work on the trees if you know what i mean.

I painted the boxes on both sides and sealed the corners with bathroom silicone, it work but after i did it, i though, i just sealed all possioble ways for air to get ot the roots, so i dont think it was good idea afterall.
The trees dont mind it, they grow well anyway....

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pessure treated wood has worked great for me. I have a Japanese White Pine that has been in the same box for 30 years and several other plants in boxes not as old. I have had no issues whatever.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
In Nigel Sounders videos sometimes he shows nicely finished wooden “pots” that are used as a holder for a plastic flat. (I would believe a standard size).
I think this is a great solution.

bonsai45

Sapling
Reaction score
use 4x4" of cedar for the walls

run the exterior walls on your table saw and (optionally) through your router to create your design, like creating crown moulding

important: when working the exterior wall, be sure to keep the interior walls vertical and untouched so that your walls still line up at 90-degrees (you can mitre the joint)
if you're good with a table saw (and if your blade extends enough), you can slice a 4x4 at 45-degrees length-wise and use each half of the 4x4", otherwise there is a lot of waste

if you use 1x4" for the walls and slant the whole board (thus slanting the inside and outside of each wall) good luck calculating the angle at which two walls meet (and then executing it)
don't use 2x4". the 2" (i.e. 1.5") width of the wall is not wide enough to create an interesting exterior wall without compromising the the structural quality of the wall

use cedar
no need to seal
don't paint it, you will regret it when the paint starts to chip and makes a mess in your garden

edit: this recommendation is based on your interests. I've had the same interests in the past. my true recommendation would be to make ordinary training boxes out of cedar and spend your time and money more wisely

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are show-quality wooden bonsai pots a thing? I’m yet to see anything more fancy than a grow box.

I was killing some time today in Target and Home Goods stores, and wandering around looking for things that could be repurposed for bonsai. They did have a lot of interesting wooden serving bowls and trays that were potentially the right size for bonsai. Drill a big drainage hole and they would "work" and look interesting for a show, but I wouldn't think that they would last very long in the garden or on the benches.

Epoxy type sealants might be the way to use a wooden bonsai pot. Epoxy is waterproof and potentially very long-lasting.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just a thought....and I have no idea if it could actually work for your intended need. But I thought you might read about it and possibly test it. The product is Tree Gum, from Kaizen Bonsai, http://www.kaizenbonsai.com

The Tree Gum is used to treat deadwood on bonsai basically by replacing lost natural rot prevention components of a tree. Just a thought. It’s a different path than manufactured chemicals. The people at Kaizen are excellent to work with.
8708538A-8361-442C-8314-06A7AA5C0FE8.jpeg

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Linseed oil is non-toxic and can be used in/around organic (food) gardening as far as I know. If it's good enough for organic food, it should be fine for bonsai.
Boiled Linseed oil has been used for hundreds of years to waterproof wood. I use it on all my growboxes and other wood left outside,
But be forewarned!! I advise that the wood is allowed at least 30 days to cure before using it.
The VOC's present are not good to inhale as they gas off. Leave them outside to cure.
Can't imagine it would be any better for the plant!
And please DO NOT leave rags that have been used without putting them in a bucket of water after use. It has been well known that the rags will spontaneously combust if left in a pile!!

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Pessure treated wood has worked great for me. I have a Japanese White Pine that has been in the same box for 30 years and several other plants in boxes not as old. I have had no issues whatever.
Majority of my grow boxes are PT lumber.
The old belief as not to use it is when they used arsenic as a preservative, as opposed to now. I think they use a copper based solution.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I’ve noticed Nigel Sounders has some nice hardwood bonsai receptacles. He has a plastic flat as a liner that fit perfectly into the wooden outer shell.
I'm thinking of trying that out. -finding some standard size liners, then making some nice wooden shells to fit.
I think this is great because your not limited to any sort of finish or wood choices.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
oh Shit. I guess I did post this already. Sorry some phone issues. .....
And I’m an airhead.

Top Bottom