Grow box sizes

Xmario01

Seed
Reaction score
Good morning all,
I am brand new to this site, hoping to learn from everyone here ,
Question I have is on grow boxes that I would like to make myself, what size should I make them ?
Example I have a Japanese maple that I would like to thicken the trunk , it is currently aprox. 10 “ in height
1/2 “ trunk .
What size should I make the box ?
Thank you in advance

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The bigger the box, the more growth you'll get per season.
It all depends on how much room you have, how much money you want to spend on substrates and a couple of other factors.

Does your tree need the box for growing, or just for proper root establishment? If the latter is the case, it doesn't need to be all that big.

My boxes are about the length and width I want the final size of the tree to be. If I have enough wood. I usually don't have enough wood so they end up smaller than I'd like. But still, after two years, I can't really say that size seems to matter. Everything seems to grow better in wooden boxes compared to plastic.

If my comment raises more questions than it answers, then you're probably getting what I mean. There's no absolute answer except for 'big enough'. What is enough? It depends on where you want your plant to end up and how long you want to keep it in a box.

D

Deleted member 21616

post a picture of the tree?

Last edited by a moderator:

Xmario01

Seed
Reaction score
This is the tree I have

Attachments

• 2FB188C6-66C7-4DF2-AD26-A5395AA2BEB4.png
    2FB188C6-66C7-4DF2-AD26-A5395AA2BEB4.png
    222.3 KB · Views: 35

Xmario01

Seed
Reaction score
It all depends on how much room you have, how much money you want to spend on substrates and a couple of other factors.

Does your tree need the box for growing, or just for proper root establishment? If the latter is the case, it doesn't need to be all that big.

My boxes are about the length and width I want the final size of the tree to be. If I have enough wood. I usually don't have enough wood so they end up smaller than I'd like. But still, after two years, I can't really say that size seems to matter. Everything seems to grow better in wooden boxes compared to plastic.

If my comment raises more questions than it answers, then you're probably getting what I mean. There's no absolute answer except for 'big enough'. What is enough? It depends on where you want your plant to end up and how long you want to keep it in a box.

Thank you for that , I definitely need it for growing , you also answered the question of size .

Xmario01

Seed
Reaction score

Top Bottom