Grow Boxes and Getting Creative

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have an Alaskan mill for my big chainsaw and was thinking about making some live edge grow boxes, and grow boxes out of felled trees. Right now all I have are way thick oak slabs but will cut some thinner. Anyone get creative with their grow boxes or is it not worth the effort?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have never done one but I am considering to do one in the future. I believe is worth if you find mostly free material to use but I have never really done research if any wood is better than another to build a grow box. Another alternative I was considering is the colander but this depends on how big is your tree.

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think you should do it if the live edge boxes will make you happy. I use pallet wood because it's free and readily available.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not worth effort. Just a grow box/will rot away. Also may take up more space;).

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Live edge timber is mostly sapwood which is far softer and rots really easy so any grow boxes won't last long, at least with our Aussie hardwoods. Maybe your slower grown trees will be different?

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
After all you wouldn't know until you try it.
So do it:)

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Well I get the logs free since it’s my job:)

Usually a good mix of hardwoods and softwoods.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Personally I don't think it's worth it. Save the lumber to make stands or benches.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a portable bandsaw mill and have always milled my own wood for boxes unless some scraps are kicking around. Have used lots of boards without the wane cut off but not for looks just cause they are less useable lumber for other uses generally. They don’t last all that long but if you have more time than money or just want to then great plan.

Top Bottom