Grow Boxes

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What material do you use for grow boxes?
The past two seasons I have used 2x8 and 2x4 Douglas Fir boards because that’s what I had leftover from my basement framing and veggie garden boxes. I was looking for something lighter, but still strong enough to hold big trees (5inch trunks). Any ideas?

I experimented with skinny pine boards, but they were too soft and flimsy.

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Last edited:

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have seen pressure treated wood for garden boxes. Are there any chemicals that can leech out?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I use 1 by 6 cedar fence boards, additional strength can be obtained through construction design in corners, bottom rails and side handles.
For corner reinforcement simply place a 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 piece upright inside each corner. For bottom reinforcement simply place a rail in the centre and offset the drainage holes. Rails on all sides will strengthen the tops and bottom lengths if required. Fence boards are usually more economically priced and standard sizes for planning purposes and limiting the number of cuts required when making large numbers of grow boxes. This size typically works well for trunks up to 3 inches in size.

Bottom View.jpegFront View.jpegSide view.jpegsize 11 sq by 4.5 deep.jpegTop View.jpeg

62veedub

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I use 1 by 6 cedar fence boards, additional strength can be obtained through construction design in corners, bottom rails and side handles.
Yep! This is what I used to do. Cedar resists rot and lasts longer, is less weight too. Fence pickets can usually be found cheap too.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have seen pressure treated wood for garden boxes. Are there any chemicals that can leech out?
They use to use arsenic to preserve PT wood. It was outlawed years ago.
They now use a copper based product.
I usually use PT that has been weathered outside for a year before using. No problems.

Top Bottom