grow boxes

Michael T

Seedling
Reaction score
I build my own as well mainly because I think they look better than plastic trays (perforated or not).

I use cedar, but often use treated lumber as well with no ill-effects. The new standard chemical for treated lumber is not as toxic as the stuff formerly used.

May I also suggest paying a visit to the joist hangers section at any big box home center. Beat the heck out of screws and nails that eventually work their way loose from even the best boxes. I find the joist hangers really make a stout box. Here's a pic. Note that stump ways about hundred pounds by itself. With the solid the box weighs at least a hundred fifty to two hundred pounds.

http://bonsainut.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15475&d=1300842903

Have no fears lifting that box.

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Note that stump ways about hundred pounds by itself. With the solid the box weighs at least a hundred fifty to two hundred pounds."

That would be one advantage of an Anderson flat....it doesn't weigh 50-100 pounds. Not that that stump would fit in an Anderson flat! Nice Stump.

Last edited:

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And since we're showing off stumps...meet the trident triplets: Rumpy, Stumpy, and Righty. They live in Anderson flats. They're heavy but more portable minus all the wood and hardware. They don't look very nice now anyway so I didn't bother to build them anything. They were dug up with a shovel. ;) (I saw your other post discussing forklifts...)

Attachments

• Rumpy.jpg
    Rumpy.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 281
  • Stumpy.jpg
    Stumpy.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 264
  • Righty.jpg
    Righty.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 253

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice triplets. :D How long did you grow those in the ground? I've got one I put in the ground 2 years ago that had a 0.75" trunk that now has a 3"+ base. It's hard to beat tridents for quick trunk development.

By the way, I should have mentioned that I've been using the TFLAT model Anderson Flat for the last few years.

http://www.stuewe.com/products/anderson.php

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn't grow them. Randy Knight did. I needed something to do while mine are in the ground fattening up. (so the next 5 years... at least)

Last edited:

b3bowen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dave is right, a box is a box. I have used pressure-treated wood with no problems. A few pointers:
  • Use screws to assemble the boxes to make the box stronger.
  • Build a simple 4-sided square or rectangle using 1x4 or 1x6
  • The bottom can be plywood, but it will only last for 3-5 years, MDF lasts about 1 season.
  • you could use 1x4s as the bottom and leave a small gap between each for drainage.
  • Drill PLENTY of holes in the bottom for drainage if you use plywood...5/8" holes, about 1 1/2" apart.
  • Add "feet" of some kind so the bottom doesn't rest directly on the ground, unless you want the roots to escape.
  • Shallow and wide is best.
  • Add handles if the boxes get much bigger than 24"x24", because they will get heavy.
  • A few friends have stained boxes (outside only)...I'm not that sophisticated!

Have fun, wooden boxes are excellent for growing out material. You can make them any size you want, and they really keep water and temperature even.

For building your own boxes for Young material, trunks that are around a half an inch to 1 inch, do you prefer using one by fours or one by sixes. I would think that smaller depth would be better for The nebari, but do you find it dries out too quickly?

Top Bottom