Grow light help!

Deci22

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Good Morning all! welp after planning and executing the perfect balcony with my plants and trees, I've run into an issue. The damn earth rotated and now i have no sun! Its a south facing balcony, but with the apartments all around I have no sun, lots of indirect light. My Chinese elm is suffering, so i thought to get some kind of grow light to supplement until that sun comes back around again. It would need to be able to be outdoors and something that doesnt hang from the ceiling and small...I've tried researching on this site but i am a complete newblet when it comes to grow lights? any help, ideas, thoughts would be super helpful!

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I had the same problem in Vietnam when a neighbor added a rooftop covering. It completely shaded every rooftop growing area I had created. My solution was simpler though. I stopped growing on the rooftop (rooftop growing is very common).

I think your further issues will be to examine rain and wind impacts on whatever you’re thinking of installing.

Deci22

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Indoors or outdoors ?
Protected from rain?
outdoors, some protection from rain, I can move it closer to the sliding glass door so as to protect it more ( screened in balcony ) but something that is a tad waterproof would be wonderful. come summertime we get evening downpours and thunderstorms I just cant guarantee it will stay completely dry.

Deci22

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I had the same problem in Vietnam when a neighbor added a rooftop covering. It completely shaded every rooftop growing area I had created. My solution was simpler though. I stopped growing on the rooftop (rooftop growing is very common).

I think your further issues will be to examine rain and wind impacts on whatever you’re thinking of installing.
Yeah, i was so excited, early spring things were going gangbusters when it was getting sun, now growth has really come to a halt. It's close enough for me that if I'm home I can bring things inside if need be ( i already have a space cleared inside by the door so when Hurricanes come i can bring them inside ) but they are much happier outside. Just looking to supplement the elm because its definitely not getting enough sun. I like the idea of a simple solution, lol, but unfortunately I dont think i'd be able to handle not growing my trees. LOL

Top Bottom