Grow light needed?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just moved these guys into the house for the winter and I leave them net to the window with the blinds open but I'm wondering if they will get enough light. Two bougainvillea, one tiny Jade and a Lilly accent. IMG_20161115_155120380.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What I learned from experience is...my bougainvillea grew leggy in my sunroom exposed to much light during winter months. I added a grow cart last year to offer a different winter strategy. And was thrilled with the tight internodes it produced during winter.

But if that tray under the cup is attached. My largest concern would be drainage. I would set some small pebbles in the tray to allow the pot to be raised up out of the drainage. Last thing you want is root rot.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The drainage actually isn't that bad. It's a bit miss represented in the picture. Honestly that smaller one was never expected to live long. I kinda just left it by my stepps outside and forgot it. I'll probably move it to a room that's not so central and get a light for it then.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'd still set some pebbles in the tray and raise that planter up off the saucer. So when watered it isn't setting with wet feet.

My small grow cart is in the hubbub of our home. But I've not many needing housed inside. It's not the brightest/hottest bulb. (Didn't want a fixture that would be hot to the touch...do to location.) But it's kept my internodes tight.
image.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Awesome setup

That Jade should do fine and actually prefer being where you have it. The others would probably like a light and warmer area. Our Bougainvillea stays at 72 degrees, 62 percent humidity as well as some of our flora. They get 16 hours of light using a really inexpensive light bought separate without the stand like Darlene has.

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The lights I am referring to are in this thread http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/plant-lighting-for-beginners.21116/page-2 starting at post 30. There are several pictures after that showing mounting in various ways. They are usually available at Walmart for 10.99USD in the home electrical section. They also have inexpensive mechanical timers which I have been using for a long time.

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The lights I am referring to are in this thread http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/plant-lighting-for-beginners.21116/page-2 starting at post 30. There are several pictures after that showing mounting in various ways. They are usually available at Walmart for 10.99USD in the home electrical section. They also have inexpensive mechanical timers which I have been using for a long time.

Grimmy
Much cheaper than my set up...and do the same job. Pretty cool...if you have a room you can designate to them.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Much cheaper than my set up...and do the same job. Pretty cool...if you have a room you can designate to them.

They are actually the same T-8 1093 bulbs, full spectrum. I needed several and the ability to have plants up to 2 foot under them so it just works out better then buying premade units. Yours looks far nicer but just simply would not work for us. This Spring when the plants go out I am adding at least another 40 foot of shelf in there and quite a few more of the same light as it "seems" it will be needed :eek:

Grimmy

Last edited:
Top Bottom