Grow light

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I attached my little set up. Everything is just growing haven't touched anything clearly. Teo pictures show some discoloration and wilting of leaves. That is a south facing glass door. Was thinking about moving them and using grow lights. Worth noting that door is often open. Would this help? If so any recommendations on grow lights??

Attachments

• 20211010_153539.jpg
    20211010_153539.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 20211010_154324.jpg
    20211010_154324.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 51
  • 20211010_154331.jpg
    20211010_154331.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 45

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I attached my little set up. Everything is just growing haven't touched anything clearly. Teo pictures show some discoloration and wilting of leaves. That is a south facing glass door. Was thinking about moving them and using grow lights. Worth noting that door is often open. Would this help? If so any recommendations on grow lights??
There are many grow lights that work adequate-“well” on the spectrum.. there prices in the “adequate” range are all fairly similar...

Have to answer a few questions..

How many more trees/plants do you plan on acquiring in the near future (next few years)?

How much natural/filtered sunlight does your are receive?

Are you ok with a light-cycle “on” of at LEEAST 16/8 (I do more, personally) in THAT space?

Just trying to hone in on what you really need.

:)

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
It’s a good idea to get them under lights and away from cool drafts that may occur by a door. Not sure about P Afra, but ficus don’t like it

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I plan to move it into my office with a north facing window with minimal light. So grow lights would supply all the light. Cycling light would be a non issue. As far as additional trees. Plan would be to bring in tropicals during fall and winter. Everything else outside. I was going to do wire shelving with lights on top if I could. Or a clip lamp with bulb. Trying to find a suitable quality to affordability ratio.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've had a good experience with HLG LED lights the last couple winters. I'm using 18" * 48" wire shelving, and use two lights per shelf used for growing ( so 4 lights total for my two shelves).

I'll try and remember to grab a photo tomorrow.

These are what I'm using:

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've had a good experience with HLG LED lights the last couple winters. I'm using 18" * 48" wire shelving, and use two lights per shelf used for growing ( so 4 lights total for my two shelves).

Here's a photo, they are pretty perfect for wire shelves - can just clip them right on with what they come with.

PXL_20211011_144234037.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have this for plants that aren't out and about. You DEFINITELY want to be wearing UV blockers when in the room with this, I've heard it can make your eye doctor think you're a welder if you don't. I am pretty sure these are for growing weed. It doesn't get too hot, but the light is so intense you just don't want to be exposed to it with your naked eyeballs.

For living areas and like under a shelf or overhang where they don't look too crazy, I am using these after hearing from Carol83 about the success she's had with this kind of bulb with bonsai:

I wasn't able to find them in smaller packs, but if you can, that would be the cheaper option I would think.

In terms of quality vs. price, these seem to intersect nicely. I believe there are cheaper options, but I didn't pursue them because I felt the quality took a bit of a nosedive once you go lower.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Someone suggested this in a dome. I don't plan to add more plants this season. I could do 2 of these easy if they'll work. Thoughts?
Screenshot_20211011-084220_Amazon Shopping.jpg

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There anything a little less expensive?
Depends, do you want things to survive, or thrive? :)
Someone suggested this in a dome. I don't plan to add more plants this season. I could do 2 of these easy if they'll work. Thoughts?
View attachment 402386
Better than nothing! A couple should keep one or two plants alive over winter. Keep them as close as possible without burning (from heat) the plants - a fan helps here, and is good for general air exchange anyway.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Good lights…All I use is HLG……..these are great for clones and also side lighting….they link…..are expensive,but pay in savings in the long run.They would give you some great under canopy lighting.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is
I have this for plants that aren't out and about. You DEFINITELY want to be wearing UV blockers when in the room with this, I've heard it can make your eye doctor think you're a welder if you don't. I am pretty sure these are for growing weed. It doesn't get too hot, but the light is so intense you just don't want to be exposed to it with your naked eyeballs.

For living areas and like under a shelf or overhang where they don't look too crazy, I am using these after hearing from Carol83 about the success she's had with this kind of bulb with bonsai:

I wasn't able to find them in smaller packs, but if you can, that would be the cheaper option I would think.

In terms of quality vs. price, these seem to intersect nicely. I believe there are cheaper options, but I didn't pursue them because I felt the quality took a bit of a nosedive once you go lower.
And any lamp that they'll fit in?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
View attachment 402386
If you are going to go this route.. go to Target.. and buy 4-5 of THESE guys.. i use them as side-lights and “hangieS” in my low-mid light area..
07538D06-2E48-4667-A828-2A625F69C3CF.jpeg47B11C78-8ABC-4B3E-9E52-A3A9685E2050.jpeg
I still strongly suggest LED panels..

Orrrr if you’ve got the money, whatever Cmeg uses!

🤣🤣🤣

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ope! Here’s another one.
1CCFD0F5-4F54-45F2-9FD9-A362B50A0A84.jpeg
aaand another.44850072-430F-426D-8686-5279A976593C.jpeg
I also use broad-spectrum UV Fluoros in “fish-lamps” as side light1D29FCD4-A61C-4C30-B172-0AAC3A1006CB.jpegFAE55AB2-A25A-4395-96A6-8A9728EC747F.jpeg
This is all, of course SUPPLEMENTARY to my LED panels.. which are great for my needs.

sevan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is my first winter with bonsai, so I can't provide any useful reviews yet, but here is what I have setup for this year:

2x Ikea Omar Shelves = $60
Barrina Full Spectrum Led Grow light (2ft long, pack of 6) = $60
Techbee Digital Timer = $16

My goal for this year is "good enough" because at this point I'm spending more on the equipment than I have on the trees. They will also be in a south facing window, so they will benefit from some sunlight. Living in Atlanta, my winter is short enough that I'm okay with focusing on survival for now.

The lights did end up slightly more pink than I had hoped, but not the purple color that is common.

Attachments

• 20211011_133347.jpg
    20211011_133347.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20211011_133849.jpg
    20211011_133849.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 41

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hehe!! i grow flowers(of many varieties) indoors over winter, aaand I’m a Po’boy.... so I like “blurple”

Buuut FULL spectrum WHITE is IDEAL. ;)

Top Bottom