Grow Lights

Hump

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When I started researching grow lights I decided I didn't care about flowers or fruit, only vegetative growth. That ruled out the need for metal lamps and colored lights. I ended up with T5 HO lights and am very happy with them. I've had multiple flushes of growth on tropicals over winter. Easy to use, low maintenance, and cheap. I think LED would be your other option which costs a little less to run but a lot more to buy and maintain. T5 HO run warm but nothing compared to the hot metal halide lamps. LED have little to no heat output associated with running them.

Some people claim that LED offer better growth than T5 HO but I've seen arguments both ways. They both offer some of the best growth for artificial lights so I think it's kind of a wash.

One note.. if you're growing with 100% artificial light when you transition to sunlight if you don't go slowly you will get bad sunburn on sensitive plants. For really young seedlings it may just kill them so make sure to transition them slowly.

Same goes to you Jester. Now that I'm looking, I think you were the one who made the not needing flowering comment. Are you still using T5 flouresent set up for winter?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have many LED and T5 lights. I love all the LED choices and use them primarily. But it has been my experience that seedlings and cuttings do better under T5.

Hump

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have many LED and T5 lights. I love all the LED choices and use them primarily. But it has been my experience that seedlings and cuttings do better under T5.

Other than seedlings and cuttings, What would you recommend if you're just needing to keep some larger tropicals happy during the winter

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I realize this is an old thread, but I wanted to check with you on if your practice has changed much? This is my first winter with bonsai, and I have a couple bougainvillea and a Chinese fringe. I've been researching and researching and RESEARCHING lol and I've found a cpl ideas. Maybe spider farm or the cheaper alternative, BUT Your comment made alot of sense to me. I'm not looking for them to flower over the winter, just keep them satisfied until I can get them back out in warm spring. What's your setup now?

No, I still use the same set up that I have been using for 5 years.
No reason to fix what isnt broken ;)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And what is that exactly?

I set up my inside wintering area for my ficus and Brazilian rain trees with 2 four foot long fixtures with 3 32 watt T8 daylight deluxe (6500K) bulbs each for a total of 6 bulbs.

IMG_0851.JPGIMG_0854.JPGIMG_0852.JPGJune 2015_small.jpg

If you cant find a 3 tube fixture, you will probably be fine with 2 tubes for a total of 4.

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Other than seedlings and cuttings, What would you recommend if you're just needing to keep some larger tropicals happy during the winter
LED all the way. More versatile, more choices, more light, less power. Still, for propagating I'd go with T5.

Hump

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I set up my inside wintering area for my ficus and Brazilian rain trees with 2 four foot long fixtures with 3 32 watt T8 daylight deluxe (6500K) bulbs each for a total of 6 bulbs.

View attachment 331160View attachment 331161View attachment 331162View attachment 331163

If you cant find a 3 tube fixture, you will probably be fine with 2 tubes for a total of 4.
Awesome, thanks for taking the time to reply and the pictures. Are the bulbs anything specific like plant and aquarium lights, or just regular "daylight" deluxe 6500k bulbs"

Hump

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
LED all the way. More versatile, more choices, more light, less power. Still, for propagating I'd go with T5.

I was thinking maybe go with the simple T5 or T8 setup, and maybe mix in some cheap LEDs near the bottom veritically or something to ensure the lower canopy gets adequate light. I guess I have a couple things I can propogate this winter.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome, thanks for taking the time to reply and the pictures. Are the bulbs anything specific like plant and aquarium lights, or just regular "daylight" deluxe 6500k bulbs"

They are just regular daylight bulbs which are full spectrum. You dont need special plant bulbs.
LOL if you read what I posted earlier, that question was already answered. In fact that info is posted twice in thread before this post.
Everything I have I bought at Home Depot.

Youll most likely find the T8 bulbs are cheaper than T5.. Do your research on it.

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is what I went with for my jabuticaba and BRT to extend the day length. Not for supplement to regular day light

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was thinking maybe go with the simple T5 or T8 setup, and maybe mix in some cheap LEDs near the bottom veritically or something to ensure the lower canopy gets adequate light. I guess I have a couple things I can propogate this winter.
Either or either, they are both good and I have my opinions about both of them. But I have to add that an LED set up is much simpler and nowadays cheaper as well. I have to replace T5 bulbs annually which jacks the price up a bit from the initial investment. They do seem to be gentler on the eyes for use in a living area. Smart move to be considering the lower parts of the plant. I am designing a growing area with strong side lighting to help develop my tropical cascade bonsai. As soon as I can figure out my available space I will get right on it.
Best luck with your lighting. Indoor growing through the winter is fun ... and keeps me out of trouble.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Hump

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is probably the same two I was looking at (except in USA Amazon) and I remember one seemed like it offered more at about the same price. More is better.
If your going to spend 40 to 50 usd on that, I would go to alibaba and spend 70 and get a 120w led light that's professional. Yes you'll spend a little more but you'll also get way way better quality, and better life out of it. I mean there are incredible ones with samsung 301h LED's and then there are still great ones with lesser know led brands that are a little cheaper but still way better than the light on Amazon you're looking at. Just with a quick search, I've found one that's pretty inexpensive, offers not just 5000k but also 660nm (red) 730nm (deep red) and UV as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201009-213321_Alibabacom.jpg
    Screenshot_20201009-213321_Alibabacom.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20201009-213325_Alibabacom.jpg
    Screenshot_20201009-213325_Alibabacom.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20201009-213346_Alibabacom.jpg
    Screenshot_20201009-213346_Alibabacom.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are the bulbs anything specific like plant and aquarium lights, or just regular "daylight" deluxe 6500k bulbs"
Have a read.

not just 5000k but also 660nm (red) 730nm (deep red) and UV as well.
This is indeed important else you are just providing a lot of light.. Like.. Of course you can live off only cornstarch for a looong time. But add fruit and veggies and and.. and all of the sudden you are a lot healthier. Plants use sunlight in specific wavelengths in a fairly balanced way. The minimum amount of energy received in one of the wavelengths will determine the outcome.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If your going to spend 40 to 50 usd on that, I would go to alibaba and spend 70 and get a 120w led light that's professional. Yes you'll spend a little more but you'll also get way way better quality, and better life out of it. I mean there are incredible ones with samsung 301h LED's and then there are still great ones with lesser know led brands that are a little cheaper but still way better than the light on Amazon you're looking at. Just with a quick search, I've found one that's pretty inexpensive, offers not just 5000k but also 660nm (red) 730nm (deep red) and UV as well.
Thanks but the reason I was looking at the others is I wanted something more portable. Not looking at a permanent setup as yet.

Top Bottom