GRowbed identification.. P Sylvestris of Thunbergii?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anybody good at identifying pines?

In my growbed I have a few young plants. I thought it was sylvestris. Looking up how old they now are, I realized that within 2 years of eachother I ordered sylvestris and thunbergii seeds. And now I am not sure anymore what I have in the bed! I know.. Stupid me..

Is this cutout of a cellphone pic enough for anybody to decide which they are?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know.. Its just.. The growbed is 45 mins drive from me. So just popping by to take a picture.. Nah.. Also considering it is winter, on weekdays, when I get near on my way to and from work, it is pitch black outside :).

Hm.. Normally I would say.. No, they must be the same. But somehow I messed up and then I loose confidence :)

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pinus thunbergii buds distinctively display as white 'candles' at this time of year (IMHO, this is the origin of the term 'candle' as they look like candles on christmas trees). I am unaware of any other species that does.

twig1.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pinus thunbergii buds distinctively display as white 'candles' at this time of year (IMHO, this is the origin of the term 'candle' as they look like candles on christmas trees). I am unaware of any other species that does.

twig1.jpg
cool. that should ID-ing easy if I get there during daylight hours again! Or maybe I will bring a torch!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Look for the white buds. That’s “Japanese Black Pine”.

ralf

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
growbeds in a forest? I have few seedlings here and there too.

Top Bottom