Growing a bald cypress grove indoors

Reaction score
I have a beautiful split level aquarium that im working on right now. I want to show you guys the tank so you get an idea of what im working on. Its a 150 gallon, split level tank filled only half way with water.
(this is the tank)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bonsai-Tree...384022?hash=item51e3740b16:g:zmcAAOSwKfVXEC2Y

this would be my purchase, or something similar to create the land mass and the forest.

I want to add a land mass to the front of the tank. So it appears your looking through a forest to see the tank on the other side. this land mass will be half submerged in water and where id also grow my bald cypress grove. so they would be in permanent wet soil. this land mass is also an up close viewing area for my newts to walk around on and be observed.

now I know its hard to replicate outside conditions. but I winter my newts every year, so theoretically I can winter the trees at the same time. Also. I fertilize the water column so nutrients arent an issue. I have two finnex 48" 24/7 planted plus aquarium grow lights. I will also be adding 3 or 4 kessil 360w tuna sun grow lights for the trees if its viable.

http://www.finnex.net/index.php/pro...planted-24-7-automated-led/planted247-48.html

http://www.kessil.com/aquarium/Freshwater_A360.php

those are the lights id use to provide light.

in addition to this, i know humidity levels are often not high enough indoors and thats why alot of people fail. its already fairly high in the enclosed glass just due to the 75 gallons or so of water sitting there, but I also run a fog machine in there every night creating a very damp environment for my newts, which should also be perfect for these trees.

Ill also be setting up a mistking that will go off twice a day that should also keep humidity higher than in normal homes.

I realize most of you are going to say, that I cant grow the bald cypress indoors. and thats fine. Im going to do it anyway. What I am hoping for is someone with experience doing it that can help me. I dont need any negative feedback or hate. I may just burn up some money, and at worse kill a tree (but im hoping to avoid that) i just want to create a truly epic indoor bald cypress grove on the bank of a canyon river, complete with daylight cycles, fog and rain.

I also inject co2 into my tank. It would require very little work to add a co2 rain system to get the required co2 to the tree while indoors as well. as a last resort, at winter time I could also simply remove the trees and the "pot" and put them into my garage until spring and then bring them back to the tank

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the lights grow them...
You might run into a problem being too humid...
As the stands in the swamps are still exposed to fresh air.

Other than that.

Have at it.

Nice tank!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just don't see growing it full time inside would work out long term. It may be possible to keep it alive but it will not progress and is likely to decline.

Since you are set on this idea, my recommendation would be to keep it outside and only bringing it in for a few weeks at a time. Your forest could be planted into something that is easily removable. An Anderson flat or something similar could work.

I'm not sure your experience in bonsai. It can be difficult to start out growing trees under ideal conditions. Trying to grow indoors is even more difficult.

You have certainly done your research and I give you credit for that but there is a lot more in the doing part.

Please add your location to you profile. It will help with additional advice. Welcome!

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
An interesting concept. Most of us who live in regions where BC's naturally occur love them and often try to duplicate them as bonsai. Small trees that would fit in your tank probably would be very young and hence not really look like BCs. I wonder if you could do a bit of research and find other species that as very young/small trees would have an aged look.

Anyway, welcome to the NUT and please keep us updated on your progress.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Bald Cypress grow quickly up here given lots of light and water along with good air circulation. We have three whips that have put on a LOT of growth in 4 months. I have them in a heavy organic mix and the nursery pots sit in 3 inches of water. By my experience with these and others in the past I "think" enclosed they may be exposed to way to much humidity. They like wet feet but really enjoy and do good in full sun and with plenty of air circulation - at least where I live.
If they grow at the rate I am seeing here you may have a problem keeping them small enough but if you can keep them in containers in water you could rotate out groups so they can be in there but otherwise outside. I would guess they could take a week inside easily but would require a diligent effort on your part.
I really have not seen my Wife have success in a Terra with most any tree but I am pretty certain one could find tree type plants(trained to look like a tree) that would do ok in the enclosure you describe.
I am however interested in your attempt as it could look very nice done properly and by rotating sets out you could have a constant display during growing season. The blank space could be filled with yet another set(s) of plants while you Winter the BC out - again a bit of work and all year...

Grimmy

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Go ahead and give it a go, but don't waste your money on that grove. It looks like a bunch of bare root seedlings that were planted in a pot last season. They're very immature with no branch structure. Instead, I suggest that just buy the bare root seedlings yourself this dormant season. That way you can get far more to work with at a much lower cost.

http://www.coldstreamfarm.net/bald-cypress-taxodium-distichum.html

Scott

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Go ahead and give it a go, but don't waste your money on that grove. It looks like a bunch of bare root seedlings that were planted in a pot last season. They're very immature with no branch structure. Instead, I suggest that just buy the bare root seedlings yourself this dormant season. That way you can get far more to work with at a much lower cost.

http://www.coldstreamfarm.net/bald-cypress-taxodium-distichum.html

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for sharing the link!

jeff

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi Scott,

Thanks for sharing the link!

jeff

That's just one example. There are tons of places that sell bare-root bald cypress seedlings. For what you're trying to do they would be perfect. That's probably where that eBay grove came from a few months ago anyway. All they've done is arrange them in a container and cut trunks to edit the height differences. 40 such seedlings should cost you $60, not $400.

Scott

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Go ahead and give it a go, but don't waste your money on that grove.

Well said and I should have added that to my previous post!

I may just burn up some money, and at worse kill a tree (but im hoping to avoid that) i just want to create a truly epic indoor bald cypress grove on the bank of a canyon river, complete with daylight cycles, fog and rain.

He is correct on the whips, choose the 1 foot variety ;)

We have three whips that have put on a LOT of growth in 4 months.

I took receipt of three skinny bare rooted on May 5th 1/4 inch bases at most. Today they are all over three foot tall with over an inch base... Where are you located so I can give you some growing advice if you proceed? It is far easier for us to help you if you include basic info in the profile so it shows like in my avatar :)

Welcome to Nuts!

Grimmy

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
That's just one example. There are tons of places that sell bare-root bald cypress seedlings. For what you're trying to do they would be perfect. That's probably where that eBay grove came from a few months ago anyway. All they've done is arrange them in a container and cut trunks to edit the height differences. 40 such seedlings should cost you $60, not $400.

Scott

Got anyone that sells Shimpaku and can ship to California? I know of Evergreen gardenworks but looking for starters less than $10 each

johng

Omono
Reaction score
My advice is to forget the live trees and just use dead BC trunks or knees....This is really the only way you will be able to include the features which make BC distinctive...fluted base, taper, knees. IT seems to me that the live trees will always be out of scale and beyond difficult to maintain in the long run...it will save you a ton of frustration, effort and money...

I have been doing aquariums and such for 45 years...and I do agree that what you want would be awesome but just not very feasible...

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Live BC ain't gonna work. Simple as that. They'd also be kind of silly looking and out of scale for your planting--if it's meant to convey a real bayou. I mean the salamanders would look like dinosaurs and the fish would be the size of whales...

Have a look around here--fake waterproof mangrove roots, etc.
http://www.lllreptile.com/catalog/143-terrarium-plants-vines-and-terrarium-accents

Think outside the box--
http://www.flexbark.com/index.php/products/flexbark
http://www.flexbark.com/index.php/gallery

or go without the tree, but use the knees--which would probably be your best bet.
https://www.universalrocks.com/aquarium-reptile-pet/tree/cypress-knees

Cheaper source
http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/Cypress-Knees-C65.aspx

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
My advice is to forget the live trees and just use dead BC trunks or knees....This is really the only way you will be able to include the features which make BC distinctive...fluted base, taper, knees. IT seems to me that the live trees will always be out of scale and beyond difficult to maintain in the long run...it will save yourself a ton of frustration, effort and money

I agree

Live BC ain't gonna work. Simple as that...

I agree, but...

...I realize most of you are going to say, that I cant grow the bald cypress indoors. and thats fine. Im going to do it anyway...

He sounds determined. I think he should try with some seedlings, have fun with it and let us know how it goes.

Scott

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree

I agree, but...

He sounds determined. I think he should try with some seedlings, have fun with it and let us know how it goes.

Scott
Yeah, I know. But like I said, those real trees will simply look silly and after a month or two they'll look silly and dead.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
This was before my time here but BCs indoor is doable with appropriate lighting. The LED lights put growing indoor within reach for many species. This might not have been the case in 2016.

Last edited:

electronfusion

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This was before my time here but BCs indoor is doable with appropriate lighting. The LED lights put growing indoor within reach for many species. This might not have been the case in 2016.
I was thinking the same. Taxodium are tropical and can grow in water, so the setup described seemed very doable. 2018 is when California forced light bulb manufacturers to start offering more efficient bulbs, pushing the switch to CFL and LED, but aquarium lamps like the type OP mentioned have been extremely bright and efficient for years before that. I just bought a seedling taxodium, so assuming it survives shipping, it's going into a shallow aquarium, and I'll see how it goes.

Top Bottom