Growing a cone?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
1.) Find pine cone that is just about ripe, but has not opened yet.
2.) Put pine cone in a paper bag, to dry until cone begins to open..
3.) Plant cone in a pot, begin watering.

In time, if you are lucky, you will get a few seedlings to grow.

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Our new yacht slip has a row of what I believe is long needle pines, but the cones look to be a little smaller. I’ll have to try this.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@TooCoys you southerners are always swapping common names. It's probably taeda. In the north long leaf pine is palustris, which starts out with a few years in a "grass stage". I think taeda must be the easiest pine to sprout if anyone cares to try this project and wants my two cents.
Also, congrats on owning a yacht. All I have is a two person river rat tube

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@TooCoys you southerners are always swapping common names. It's probably taeda. In the north long leaf pine is palustris, which starts out with a few years in a "grass stage". I think taeda must be the easiest pine to sprout if anyone cares to try this project and wants my two cents.
Also, congrats on owning a yacht. All I have is a two person river rat tube

Well as far as I've known a pine tree has been a pine tree has been a pine tree for as long as I can remember. It wasn't until I got here that I realized there was so many varieties!

And thanks! We sold our sticks and bricks in 2016 and have lived full time in an RV until now. The mother in law is moving into the RV now and we are moving aboard finally!

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I have seen a simlar one where it was obvious they were just pine cuttings stuck in a half-buried pine cone, but in this photo they seem to be seedlings, not cuttings, so I am not sure.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just realized @TooCoys if you're talking bout grown trees your id of long leaf is totally likely, I was assuming you were talking about seedlings.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pretty cool looking, but I can't imagine the seedlings would thrive, or even live long like that. What would the tree look like in 5 years?
CW

vedecx

Yamadori
Reaction score
This style is very short lived. It happens rarely in nature. The seedlings will compete and most likely kill each other off. Or after it has been enjoyed for as long as possible, perhaps the seedlings can be pulled out and potted up?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This style is very short lived. It happens rarely in nature. The seedlings will compete and most likely kill each other off. Or after it has been enjoyed for as long as possible, perhaps the seedlings can be pulled out and potted up?

Not true. Squirrels, birds bury(store)cones which wind up as many trunked trees. This has been given as hypothesis for several many trunks Bristlecone Pines likely because of other kinds of trees growing this way. Cone and seed caching are main reason for seedling viability/germination in some species such as Whitebark Pine(P. albicaulis);).

Top Bottom