Growing aerial roots?

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have 2 Ficus trees I am hoping to grow some aerial roots on (a benjamina and a microcarpa).
I've read that the best way is to keep them very humid, but don't water them much so the soil stays a bit dry. But I have them outdoors for the summer, and it's been raining nearly every day for the last several weeks, so there's no keeping the soil dry unless I move them under the eaves.
Despite the daily rain, the humidity has been around 50-70%, which I don't think is enough to get aerial roots. I've been misting them 3 or 4 times a day, at least when it isn't raining.
I've also been keeping them on my patio which gets consistent light shade throughout the day, since I've read that aerial roots grow better in the shade.
Is there anything else I can do to encourage aerial roots? I know about putting a straw over them to protect them once they start to form, but I can't seem to get any to start.
Oh and the trees seem happy and are putting out new growth.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'm wrapping some of mine up in sphagnum moss covered in plastic film to keep it in place and with daily waterings so it does not dry out. This is on my trunks though so roots from branches you may need to be a bit more inventive.
@defra just updated one using the same method.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm wrapping some of mine up in sphagnum moss covered in plastic film to keep it in place and with daily waterings so it does not dry out. This is on my trunks though so roots from branches you may need to be a bit more inventive.
@defra just updated one using the same method.

I did indeed
I also damaged the bark a bit and put roothormone powder on at places i hope to grow aerial roots from
Looks like there are some roots in the spaghmum

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Why are you so concerned with keeping the soil dry? While it's important to make sure Ficus don't have constant wet feet, you can keep the soil moist and not worry about it staying dry all the time.

Try to enclose your Ficus in a plastic dome or even a bag and you'll see much better results.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Try to enclose your Ficus in a plastic dome or even a bag and you'll see much better results.

Or - Heavy wrap trunks/branches with raffia and keep them damp ;) Either method works but if you have a short growing season...

Grimmy

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Way back machine....'13....fancy breathable vegetable baggies. I actually did this on a burt davvi fig I had back then too. Made a ton of aerial roots but they were all tangled in the sphagnum I used for moisture retention.:(

No longer have either tree, by the way.....:rolleyes:o_Oo_O:(:(:(

Attachments

• DSC00091.JPG
    DSC00091.JPG
    286.5 KB · Views: 38

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why are you so concerned with keeping the soil dry? While it's important to make sure Ficus don't have constant wet feet, you can keep the soil moist and not worry about it staying dry all the time.

What I read was that if the soil was a little dry and they were kept misted, they would be more likely to grow aerial roots in search of water. But I haven't been keeping them dry at all; I haven't been watering them, but they've been getting lots of rain.

I will try what a lot of people suggested and wrap some moss around them. I don't really have a plastic dome or anything big enough for them. I'm thinking about getting a cheap old aquarium to keep them in over the winter, though, to help keep the humidity up a little, like an orchidarium but for ficus.

Top Bottom