Growing an Arakawa twin trunk

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
This is an A. palmatum 'Arakawa' that I picked up from Martin Sweeney last October at the Carolina Bonsai Expo . Martin is a bit of a propagator and has fairly good success striking these from cuttings as well as air layers. Anyway, he was nice enough to bring several and this was one of the trees I chose to take. It was a twin trunk, which I was interested in, and it was already developing a pretty good nebari. If you look just above the root flare you can see a bit of the corky bark just beginning to show.

The picture shows the tree after it has been removed from the nursery can and had all the downward roots removed. Right after this picture was taken, the tree was placed over a tile and planted in my garden. The plan is to grow this one out over the coming years, developing both the trunk and the nebari while planted out. I've never done anything quite like this, so it should be fun.

Attachments

• DSCF3125.jpg
    DSCF3125.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wishing everyday spring comes to my neighborhood and I can work my maples, they trunk up pretty quick in the ground compared to other cultivars Dave, enjoy early spring my friend, nice start.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cool tree dave. I will be watching this thread closely. I picked a small one of these up at the end of last year too and will be putting in a grow box once the season is here. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
You could always choose to let it grow a little:) This one is about 15 years from something about the size of yours...taken about 10 airlayers off over the years.
IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0099.JPG

have fun with it!!
John

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow, that's BIG! I'm planning on trying to strike some cuttings from this one and one other I have, +/- air layering some of the sacrifice branches. If I'm successful, I'll probably might plant one out in the yard as a stock tree like yours...nice! I hope yours gets the great fall coloring I've seen on other arakawas.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys. Depending on how it grows this year and next, it will either get dug in two or three years...here's to 3 foot extensions by June!:eek:

Dave, Arakawa's are fun! Very good growth rate, very good root development and wonderful fall color. To give you an idea of time frame. This one was grown from cutting, spent 2yrs in 1gal, grown 4yr in ground and 3yr in Anderson tray. Before and after June 2013.

Attachments

• IMG_0067.JPG
    IMG_0067.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 150

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dave, Arakawa's are fun! Very good growth rate, very good root development and wonderful fall color. To give you an idea of time frame. This one was grown from cutting, spent 2yrs in 1gal, grown 4yr in ground and 3yr in Anderson tray. Before and after June 2013.

That's some serious development in a short period of time. Thanks for the pictures, Gary. Hopefully, my success will mirror yours:).

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I dug these 2 up, cut back the heavier roots, replaced the rotten boards and planted back in the ground. For good or for bad, they haven't grown as vigorously as I'd hoped, but they both have good bases going and I don't mind waiting for more trunk development.
IMG_2030.JPG IMG_2032.JPG IMG_2033.JPG IMG_2035.JPG IMG_2034.JPG IMG_2038.JPG

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Nice one! I have yet to find this species in my area! I'm excited to see this develop

Les

Mame
Reaction score
Nice maple projects, I have a couple I'm putting in the ground this year myself and one larger one I'm doing some thread grafting on. I love the fact that they can handle the sun better than my other maples.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 132010

In the future, do you think you could reduce the tallest trunk. If'n you had a bud pop lower down? That's a fairly long, taperless straight stretch of trunk at the top.
Maybe? The current height of that center trunk is about 7" and I'm wanting I'm wanting this one to finish out at over 20"...like I said it wasn't growing as fast as I'd hoped:D. I'm hoping the chops stimulate some back budding along the trunk to give the lower trunk some character and taper while I continue to grow it out... it's another 10-15 year plan:confused:.

Top Bottom