Growing Bald Cypress in the field

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I now have 30 fairly healthy BCs with tiny branches upto 3/4" long.
The green ash are amazingly fast growing. The 20 that are alive have branches upto 6" long already.
I also have 6 BC seedlings from the seed tray I prepared from the handful of seeds I had. They are only 1" long but they are growing fast. It appears I will have my mini forest soon.
20190412_173600.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
A few more popped up so I now have a dozen.

20190413_185926.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Some of them are already 18" tall. At this rate they will be 3 ft tall when I put them in the ground early fall.
20190603_202757.jpg
20190603_202746.jpg

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
Once they are in the ground, will you do anything to the trees or just let grow?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Once they are in the ground, will you do anything to the trees or just let grow?
I will fertilize them once a year and otherwise leave them alone. The ones I plant lining my driveway will remain there permanently. Others I may choose to dig up for bonsai in 5 years.

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks. I’ve got a couple of 2’ ones growing in the ground. I was wondering if people do anything besides that!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Planted 18 in the field yesterday. At this point my self germinated BCs have outgrown the seedlings that I bought for $1.50 each in February.20190825_074038.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’ve got a few in the ground. I don’t fertilize them as much as my container trees but a little fertilizer once every month or two during the grow season is how I do it.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Planted 18 in the field yesterday. At this point my self germinated BCs have outgrown the seedlings that I bought for $1.50 each in February.View attachment 259432
BTW, the BCs on my truck look scraggly because they always do that in my area in the extreme heat of summer. Right now we are heading into the second growing season. They will green up very soon.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Cajunrider, seems like you're planting a lot of stuff. Still moving up north in a few years? Gonna bring a few BC with you?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Cajunrider, seems like you're planting a lot of stuff. Still moving up north in a few years? Gonna bring a few BC with you?
Definitely am moving north still. Before I sell the house, some of those BCs are coming off the ground. Right now I'm trying to develop a BC/Ash/Palm lined driveway and pond. They will not be mature when I sell the house but enough to create and landscape feel. Plus I like them!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
67 BC yearlings (37 normal and 30 chopped by rabbits) are growing in the field. A 6ft tall skinny BC and a 7ft tall pond cypress plus two 3ft tall Montezuma cypress are also out there. :)

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
67 BC yearlings (37 normal and 30 chopped by rabbits) are growing in the field. A 6ft tall skinny BC and a 7ft tall pond cypress plus two 3ft tall Montezuma cypress are also out there. :)
It's been over a year. I suffered some losses for various reasons. I now have 50 BC in decent health. The 6 ft skinny BC is now 7ft. The pond cypress did not grow taller but is now healthy. One Montezuma cypress died but the other is thriving. And I should have at least 60 seedlings coming up soon.
20200502_080619.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It's been over a year. I suffered some losses for various reasons. I now have 50 BC in decent health. The 6 ft skinny BC is now 7ft. The pond cypress did not grow taller but is now healthy. One Montezuma cypress died but the other is thriving. And I should have at least 60 seedlings coming up soon.
View attachment 300089
Yesterday afternoon I had 45 seedlings. This morning I had 2 empty flats with 45 1/8" nubs. Wabbit!!!!! GRRRRRRRR

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
View attachment 300089
I visited my land yesterday. Hurricanes ravaged the land and the BCs. Out of the 100 or so I have planted, I now have 20 that are just 2-4 ft tall and not very healthy. The drought this year took a heavy toll on those BCs that survived the hurricanes. :(

Top Bottom