Growing bonsai from seed

Skidtay

Seed
Reaction score
I got one of those bonsai growing kits for my birthday and over the last 2 months been trying to grow it. Just wondering whether it looks normal and how its supposed to, what bonsai species it is and if there's anything I could do differently. Just watering it when the soil is almost dry so every few days and keeping it on the window sill where it get a decent amount of sunlight.1529780504806708075024.jpg

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There is no such thing as a bonsai species. What you got is a tree seedling. With training, it can become a bonsai in 20 years. In the meantime, research, read as much as you can and go to a nursery to get some more mature material to practice what you learn.
Good luck and welcome!

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm presently at that stage where I get plants from the nursery to try and figure out how not to kill them. Unless your pockets are particularly deep, it's not a bad idea to buy trees and shrubs of the species you'd like to get trained up as bonsai in order to learn the horticultural aspects of them first.
Then, when you know how to keep a tree in a pot alive, you start in on training bonsai and have a reasonable chance to not kill the tree you just spent six hours working on.

Top Bottom