Growing Chrysanthemum Bonsai

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Quick update: The cuttings are doing extremely well, and now under full sun for most of the day. They're growing pretty fast, they'll get a little fertilizer towards the end of this month. I'm wondering if they will be strong enough to flower this fall.

thumbnail_20200715_133617.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would do wiring as soon as possible. Don't wait, as once the stems lignify, they are likely to be brittle. I don't know for certain, but I suspect that.
I was thinking about doing that but they are growing so fast that I would really have to keep a daily eye on them so the wire won't bite in. If i have time these upcoming days I may wire them up.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am in love with mums since about one month ago.
No idea how I would winter them.
I will go back and read this thread when I have a few minutes.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
have you wired any of these? the dwarf ones tend to be rather brittle if you wait too long.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
have you wired any of these? the dwarf ones tend to be rather brittle if you wait too long.
@Djtommy No, I have not yet tried. These grow really fast and you would have to wire/un-wire/re-wire pretty much weekly. Too many plants to dedicate that much time to do that. What I plan to do is let the lower buds grow out to thicken the base and then clip and grow to shape. New growth leans toward the sunlight so I can somewhat control the shape placing pots on angles and then cut and rotate the pots.

thumbnail_20201021_095029.jpg

How are yours doing? I tried to slightly bend one of my bigger dwarfs trunk and the trunk just snapped. I have it in a cup of water now to hopefully enjoy the blooms. If it roots then I'll replant it. What I have found with these is that you really have to stay on top of them. Hopefully next year I can select one each cultivar, and dedicate more time to them.

thumbnail_20201021_104216.jpgthumbnail_20201021_104223.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
All my Nippons are pushing some good buds down low. Hopefully I should be able to do some clip and grow movement.

Reaction score
Peat/vermiculite/sand at the following ratio 6:4:4

It's cheap to make, holds moisture, and drains very well.
Would you continue to use this sort of mix for the plant as it matures or is it likely to grow in an inorganic bonsai substrate. I ask this because I germinated some Nipponanthemum seed last year and put them into inorganic substrates. My plants have been much less vigorous in their growth than yours.

Really interesting to see how willing they are as cuttings. Thanks for such a detailed description

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Would you continue to use this sort of mix for the plant as it matures or is it likely to grow in an inorganic bonsai substrate. I ask this because I germinated some Nipponanthemum seed last year and put them into inorganic substrates. My plants have been much less vigorous in their growth than yours.

Really interesting to see how willing they are as cuttings. Thanks for such a detailed description
With all the plants I grow and have grown. I can honestly say the plants grow better in the peat mix......they all seem to be more vigorous. I think swapping to inorganic once their designing process is complete would be good, at the point one would be just maintaining the design.

Reaction score
With all the plants I grow and have grown. I can honestly say the plants grow better in the peat mix......they all seem to be more vigorous. I think swapping to inorganic once their designing process is complete would be good, at the point one would be just maintaining the design.
Thanks. I think I may introduce some organics to the soil mix and will definitely try some cuttings in your recommended mix.

Top Bottom